TLZone Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found the metal thing in the pic under my valve cover. I put it next to a 22 bullet so you know how big it is. The 2nd pic of the camshaft, is that the scissor gear in the middle of shaft? I read about 10 diff threads on scissor gear removal but didnt see any good pics. Need to make sure i dont remove the wrong thing.

·
Registered
1998 TLS; 2001 TLR; 200X TLRSF
4,302 Posts
Found the metal thing in the pic under my valve cover. I put it next to a 22 bullet so you know how big it is.
The collar next to the bullet in your photo is one of the alignment bushings used to keep the valve covers in proper alignment on the head.

The 2nd pic of the camshaft, is that the scissor gear in the middle of shaft? .....
No. The mechanism in the middle of the camshaft is the decompressor assembly. It allows the engine to crank over more easily during startup.

Why do you want to remove the scissor gears?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just bought the bike as a project. Got a new battery and drained the old gas, put fresh 89 octane and it fired up. Ran perfect for 30 sec and i revved the fu&$ out of it, then i shut it off. Next day after 30 sec of running i hear a loud tapping noise. Bike didnt run for 2-3 years but it sat inside a garage. I pulled off both engine side covers and front valve cover. Im tearing the engine down to inspect everything. I do engine swaps in cars atleast 1 per month so the labor doesnt scare me. I wanna put new timing chains, tensioner and shit like that.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I just bought the bike as a project. Got a new battery and drained the old gas, put fresh 89 octane and it fired up. Ran perfect for 30 sec and i revved the fu&$ out of it, then i shut it off. Next day after 30 sec of running i hear a loud tapping noise. Bike didnt run for 2-3 years but it sat inside a garage. I pulled off both engine side covers and front valve cover. Im tearing the engine down to inspect everything. I do engine swaps in cars atleast 1 per month so the labor doesnt scare me. I wanna put new timing chains, tensioner and shit like that.
I think timing chain is the last thing that need change in a tl1000, never heard of a failiure of the cam chain.

·
Moderator,
8,243 Posts
TL = Ticks loudly. You may be chasing ghosts. And there's no advantage to removing the scissor gears.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im defintely not chasing ghosts. I know wtf im talking about. Just because ppl say oh they always tick doesnt mean i should just forget it and ride it til it blows up or causes me to wreck. Ive been building cars and engines for 16 years. Im pulling the front head and inspecting it today then the other side tomorrow. Checking rod and crank bearings.
For me the advantage to removing the scissor gear is one less thing to break or worry about.

·
Registered
86 Posts
There might be alittle advantage in removing the scissor gear regarding friction.
But it will not help with ticking, it might even make it impossible to hear other shit going wrong due to extensive ticking when the teeth slam back and forth into eachother.
And there are many people here that have worked on the TL engine for more than 20 years so can be some good advise coming.
I have worked on car truck bike boat chainsaw snowblower pump rc ets engines for +40 years tl and i would keep the scissor gear on.
The part found in your head probably ended up there when u lifted the cam cover look on the headsurface that face the valvecover and you will probably see you are missing one.

By the way scissor gear refer to the thinner gear on the cam that has a spring loaded offset on its coggs, and its there for all good reasons like dampening sound.

Also how was the bike stored during these 2-3 years?
Was it stored warm or cold or both, had the oil been changed before being stored ?
I assume as a good mechanic that you also drained the oil and and checked it for metal flakes and so, maybe even cut up the filter to look for signs of previous abuse to your purchase.
Also added a new filter and oil before you warmed it up for 30sec and then revved the shit out of it.
If no follow the above tip and analyse the oil and filter now, you might find something that glitter and shine in the oil, i can promisse its not gold.
But some nice shavings from a rod bearing.
Its probably the most common engine failiure on a TL that produce a knocking sound at best as a warning before total failiure.
I would not press the start until drained it and checked the the oil.

BR
Peter,

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It was stored indoor in a non heated garage which wouldnt matter if it was or not and old oil isnt gonna hurt anything for 1 min of run time. Im not gonna put fresh oil is something that i never heard turn over. I drained it after and i think cutting the filters is a waste of time. I can drain it and see shiny flakes if there were any. Looks like it has a magnet on the drain plug. The side covers are off so its all drained out.

If i remove the gears theres no way the noise is gonna be louder than the tapping noise it was making before. Im definitely removing the scissor gears and decomp stuff.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The tapping noise it was making is not normal and no way i would ride it like that. Common sense would tell you it has an issue if you heard it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Why do you post questions here, if the only answers accepted is the ones that comfirm what you already decided on?
I dont say that u have a broken conrod shell. But its a comon failiure.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If i went by the advice here, i would ride my bike and the engine would blow.

Its my fault people that dont actually fix or build engines are giving out BAD advice??
Tell yourself whatever you want lol listen to noobs and go run your engine when its obviously got a problem. Have fun

·
Registered
249 Posts
People here all have TL's and know from years of personnel experience what TL's should sound like + made videos of what they sound like.

So excuse them, it's not the first time they had to explain to new owners that the tapping sound they hear is normal.

But most of them don't take a completely dry engine and bypass warmup to rev the S###T out of it unloaded (Big twins don't like that).

So yeah it could very well be that you broke something.

Cars often have thin oil in them because their oil don't have dual function of being also transmission oil.

Enjoy your new acquisition.

·
Moderator,
8,243 Posts
Since my 45 years of engine building experience and many years of riding a TL pales next to your's, it's good you are such a fountain of knowledge because I suspect you will not be hearing much from those who have been around TLs for a few decades now. Enjoy the bike and the site.

Reactions: Rickysnicker

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Jeff,

Maybe this guy wants to tell Tony when he responded earlier that he doesn't know much either... :ROFLMAO:

NYsuzuki98,

I have "only" been a member for 7 years, so I guess I am one of those "noobs" you refer to. You join 2 days ago and tell people here they don't know what they are talking about. We are here trying to help you (for free and on our own time). You are probably the kind of person that goes to a professional sporting event and tells the players how they "suck". Armchair quarterback.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Tony's 4,200+ posts. Jeff's paltry 8,200+ posts. My absolute disgusting 1700+.

But what do we know?!

NYsuzuki98 less than ten posts...

·
Premium Member
6,905 Posts
............................ you can lead a horse to water, but you cannot make him drink....................

Give up on it lads, he obviously knows far more than we do.

I'm off now to see if I can get my TLS/UNO to go bang................

Reactions: Jonstorp
1 - 17 of 17 Posts