TLZone Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got to take my forks out this weekend to have some WP springs put in etc and only having a front paddock stand that fits under he bottom of the forks am wondering how to lift the front end safley? can get some big axle stands from my bro but want to knowbest place to a bar through the frame etc.

Thanks

Cliffo :pirate

·
Registered
676 Posts
I found that I had to purchase a front end stand, the kind that fits into the lower triple clamp.

That, and your bar through the frame, or box under the motor should work.

·
TLOTM Sept. '08
1,629 Posts
Here's how I did it on my TLS

I have a front lift that goes unde the triple tree - if you're only removing the forks, that would be fine - I needed to remove the triple tree also however.

Bought a 3ft length of Aluminum rod at Orchard supply (was less than $5) and slipped through the frame; then just lowered the bike down again onto some stands placed under the rod.
That method will work, even with a paddock stand that raises under the fork legs, as long as you have somewhere to support the frame.
I'm less familiar with the TLR frame so not sure where you will be able to install the rod
(will it go through the ram intake holes if the airbox is out?; or maybe under frame just behind the steering head?)

If you have frame sliders, here's another method (different bike but priciple is same)

You can vary on either of these themes depending on what your options are to support the bike from the steering head back. Just raise the bike initially with your fork lift then lower it onto some other medium supporting the weight.

Let us know what works for the TLR as far as a support point!
Good Luck!

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,856 Posts
Before I had a front stand. Tie downs to the rafters.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys goona have a go this weekend will prob be some extra large axel stands my bro has and a jack under the engine, either way i'll get it sorted.

Cheers Cliffo :pirate

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got my forks resprung and serviced using WP springs new seals shims etc not had chance to ride it yet but the axel stands with a bar through the swingarm pivet, the rear paddock stand and jack under the engine combo worked fine very stable. Just waiting for my Bitubo to turn up now. Thanks for the advice again helps us guys with lack of cfidence get things done.

:pirate

Cliffo

1 - 6 of 6 Posts