TLZone Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so my TLS project is underway. I picked up a set of 02 GSXR1000 forks and I need to know what triple I need. Will they fit in the stock TLS triple or do I need to get a GSXR triple. I tried a search but didn't come up with a definitive answer. Any and all help is appreciated.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
I think you will need the gsxr triples. Could be wrong, but I believe that's what I remember reading.

I'm sure it's been done before...could have sworn there was info here on it...

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
yes you need the gsxr triples. theres tons of info here on it somewhere :confused

·
Registered
8,895 Posts
Okay so my TLS project is underway. I picked up a set of 02 GSXR1000 forks and I need to know what triple I need. Will they fit in the stock TLS triple or do I need to get a GSXR triple. I tried a search but didn't come up with a definitive answer. Any and all help is appreciated.

Just bolt the complete GSXR frontend on,a 10 minute job.

Can you use TLS triple clamps..yes and no.
Can you use a TLS and TLR combination,yes you can as posted in January 2005.
Besides the fork spacing and lower triple ID difference (55mm) compared to the 01 up GSXR1000 triple (54mm) the TLS lower clamp is gullwing which puts it off the GSXR forks clamping area.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
By whole, Les means EVERYTHING up front. You'll need a GSXR wheel to go this route, as the gixxer triple is 207mm wide as opposed to the TL's 214mm. I've a perfect GSXR triple set i'll sell you for $120.00 plus shipping...:)

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I have done the swap as well & highly recommend doing the whole front end swap. That's the GSXR1000 triple clamps, the GSXR front brakes (including the 5/8" master cylinder), the GSXR1000 01' or 02' front fender and the 01' - 06' GSXR750, GSXR1000 front wheel. If you use the GSXR1000 triple clamps you will find the TLS/TLR front wheel hub (where the rotors bolt onto) are too wide. I think the GSXR1000 clip-ons sit a bit on the low side & when I first did the swap the throttle cables would slide on the top of the TLS inner bodywork. Getting an aftermarket set of clip-ons that sit a bit higher is a very good route to go.

Complete swap photo:

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds good, so now my next question, do i use GSXR bearings, races, and seals or TLS bearings, races, and seals. Sorry again if its a repeated question, I found tons of pictures of the swap and people saying the did it but none of the specs as to how they did it.

·
Registered
8,895 Posts
Sounds good, so now my next question, do i use GSXR bearings, races, and seals or TLS bearings, races, and seals. Sorry again if its a repeated question, I found tons of pictures of the swap and people saying the did it but none of the specs as to how they did it.
They are the same so interchange.

Basically it is this easy on the "TLS"......Remove upper parts to remove TL frontend..place TL ball race on GSXR lower triple,fit to TL frame,put GSXR top triple etc on,tighten to spec........done... Minor things to deal with.... Steering stops and damper mount if using stock mounting method...With a stock rear SOAS link (ride height) i don't think the GSXR forks being shorter matters now (i have a 9mm traxxion extender kit in the forks,Thanks Rupes :thumbup) and the rear cranked up with a RHA.

The TLR is similar but needs the Ignition switch relieved due to the larger frame steering head (The reason the switch is offset)

Should it be noted... By the time you have fitted the forks and rebuilt the internals you will have a few dollars invested compared to doing the stock forks.

·
Registered
457 Posts
How many hours do you you think a shop would charge me to do this?

Or worded, more correctly... What whould be a reasonable amount of hours a shop would charge for this. (Assuming I can find a gsxr front end on ebay.)

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Do it yourself, trying to get a shop to work with mods and fitting parts for one bike to another is just asking for trouble unless you have a very good relationship with a very good shop I wouldn't try it (if I were you or the shop).

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
:rant now I'm going to be trolling ebay and spare parts shops for a Gixxer front end...
Mmmm radial calipers...

·
Registered
457 Posts
Anyone in Fl with a garage wanna help a brother out? I make a great helper. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts