TLZone Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all

Gonna put some gsxr 1000 forks on the TLR.. As I'm gonna be hard braking..track riding and due to the extra weight of the beast gonna replace the front springs..

What's the best and cheapest ones?..

Hyper pro progressive?..

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
Hyper pro progressive?..
Generally progressive springs are only for touring bikes. They start out soft, wasting half the travel. Then under compresison some tighter-wound coils bind and shorten the effective portion of the spring, which makes it start to get stiffer as it raises its rate. The problem is that the compression is not proportional to braking, it wastes a lot of travel on the initial soft part, it gives little surface feedback, and the tire tends to have little bounces and side-slip when starting to lean.

Generally sport bikes prefer full-flowing valving so there's no limit to the speed the fork can compress or expand. That won't slow pitch and dive though, but the pitch & dive dies give quicker indication of the degree of braking or acceleration. So you use stiffer springs and use all the travel of the suspension at a stiffer rate. Then you set the fluid level very very carefully so that it determines the amount of trapped air remaining. That trapped air is a very progressive spring and acts like a compression bump-stop so that it doesn't bottom out hard landing a wheelie or hitting a sharp-edged bump.

My weight hos gotten pretty out of control, so I use a 1.1k which is really a 1K cut down and slugged for preload.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Takes a bit to get your head around fork set up!.. I've not got the time nor the mental capacity (it's full of images of women and bikes) to set mine up!!..

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
So just picture Liz Hurley "adjusting your springs". They'll be right in no time. :)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ooooo.... Liz Hurley.... I would drag my cock through 1/2 mile of broken glass just to hear her fart through a walkie talkie...

Back to the subject :yumyum... What about Ohlins?...

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts