TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so while ive got my wheels off for new boots, im gunna do my fork seals as one has been leaking slightly and i may as well do it while the bike is already off the road:banghead . So i havnt done USD forks before and after having a look in the manual it specifies using a few special tools.
Now do i A) have a crack at doing them myself
B) take them to the shop

Whats the chance of screwing this up?
Ive done convetional dirt bike forks before once or twice and have a decent mech knowledge.
Do you need the special tools or can you get around it?
Any tips you guys can let me in on.

Cheers guys
Coiln

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
You can do it, someone has a compressor out there.

Go here and see what you think, then ask questions.:coocoo

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
I've got enough bits and pieces to change the seals http://www.wotid.com/pictures/thumbnails.php?album=17 If you wanted to, we could do them here. We did Greg my mates TLS seals not long ago, including Macca's for lunch and talking BS for a while, he was here for less than 4 hours.

You can borrow the stuff too if you feel like a drive over to pick it up. (I don't have a tool for removing the damper rod, but there's no need to remove it for spring or seal changes).

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting - - - Is that your work Doug very good step by step:thumbup

Now has anyone in OZ got the tools i could borrow:O

Im still a bit wary but if i could get the proper tools i would feel more confident..

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Read Steve's post, go over do it at his place and dyno the TL while you are there! :coocoo

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Steve that would be good, if you've got the time to give me a hand.
I still gotta get the seals ( should i just get Suzuki OEM parts)
When you reckon we could fit them in i got the forks out already?

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Read Steve's post, go over do it at his place and dyno the TL while you are there! :coocoo
Bikes in bits at the moment Steve knows what it dynos at i havnt changed anything in that department yet.. It was already all there:devious

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Damn, I am so slow, yes he would die to do it I'd bet.

As to the pictures, yes it is a compilation of my work. I would spot a new issue and edit it in. The service manual and the pictures make it all make sense.

Good luck with it.

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
Steve that would be good, if you've got the time to give me a hand.
I still gotta get the seals ( should i just get Suzuki OEM parts)
When you reckon we could fit them in i got the forks out already?
Sing out when you've got the seals I could fit them in anytime. Seeing as they're out of the bike we could do them one night after work too. Up to you. I'm always here, you have to drive over. I'd get OEM for sure. (The hard part will be getting the top cap lose now that they're out, I usually loosen the cap then pull the forks out, so I'm not sure how hard it is with the forks out :dunno)

I had a spare set of OEM seals but I gave them to Greg :doh If you like the feel of the front end, that's Shell Advance 10wt fork oil in them. Grab a litre of that too.

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
See how much bushes are too, might be worth changing them while the forks are apart if they're not too dear.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:thumbup Sweet ill get the parts. I know its pushing it but what you doing tommorow arvo if i can get the parts in the morning? Im not working tommorrow
Should i just slide them back in and crack the top loose first its no biggie.

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
Tomorrow arvo I'm waiting for the foxtel digital man to front. They narrowed it down to between 12:00 & 5:00 so I've made no plans. Out with the analogue - they're dropping too many channels I had to cave.

So tomorrow is ok, so is Tuesday. I'm easy.

(We should be able to get the caps off, but to play it safe it might pay to slip them in and back the cap off half a turn.)

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That would be great if i can get the parts in the morning and then come over after lunch. Tuesday's out as its my daughters birthday.
PM me your number i think ive lost it and ill give you a call tommorrow if i can get the parts.
Steve once again:hail you da man................

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
PM sent :thumbup

Time for a quick spin on the gixxer now. Hoo Roo :burnout

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
Steve..... Am I wrong or.... you're missing the TLS and you're finding an excuse to get it into your garage again:laugh :devious

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Just FYI the bushes are quite cheep, at least in the states. Last time I did my forks I think it was about $80 for seals, wipers all 4 bushes and oil. I would replace the bushes while in there, even if they aren't worn all that much, they tend to get scuffed up a bit when you yank the fork legs apart.

Steve, I've taken a pair of forks apart that were off the bike, I lucked out and the caps weren't that tight and I was able to hold the fork leg still with my hands while someone loosend the cap. If they are too tight for that, perhaps a small oil filter or pipe wrench around the upper/outer leg would do the trick:thumbup

have fun

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
:) Well the seals are done
Drove out to Steve's place today and got them changed over in just under 2 hours. Not to much of a job to do but makes it easy with a spring compressor and someone who's done it before.

:thumbup thanks again Steve. You are truly the guru of all things TL :done

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
It's all good fun. Especially when it's not costing me anything :laugh

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Approx $50 for the job, $38 on seals and oil and a sixxer of Scotch and coke for Steve. Work car's fuel so in the end cant complain :O

1 - 20 of 20 Posts