TLZone Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone put the radial mount brake lower fork tubes on their stock tlr forks? if so which bike,model, year was it? just asking.....not that i am contemplating adding to my list of mods from last years continuing winter project:banghead just some more R&D for future plans....thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
I sure do like the new 6-piston forged one-piece-body radial calipers on the new 2007 R1.

·
Banned
5,308 Posts
I've been wanting to make them for a long time, all of the aftermarket models are $950 and up, just for the lowers and that is just crazy.

Hopefully I'll pick up a donor radial set and get closer to doing this.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Ya know, that's a good point. I suppose there's a fair chance that the lower cast section from a newer 43mm inverted fork might thread right onto our lower fork tubes and if your really lucky the valve stack might even fit into the newer castings as well........

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
The lower casting from the newer GSXR 1000 forks etc will not fit on the bottom of the TLR leg already tried that. And you cannot use the entire lower leg inside the stanchion from the TLR as Kayaba has changed the design of the fork internally and the bolt size to hold the cartridge in is different as well.

·
The Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow Moderator,
15,420 Posts
I fitted my re-valved and re-sprung TL internals into GSXR1000 Radial K4 Forks to keep the cost down of modifying the GSXR internals. Because I was able to do this, I think as long as the slider diameter and thread lengths are the same then no worries.

The Cartridge bolt for the TL is M12 and the K2 M10, so you need to drill out the hole in the bottom of the fork bottom and also turn down the diameter of the TL bolt/copper washer a little.

If going the other way and putting GSXR internals in TL forks (to resell whats left etc) then you need a shouldered bush to keep the different diameters central

·
Banned
5,308 Posts
lower legs

I pretty much figured that the lowers would not swap around between years and models, but if the only change was thread length and depth, that would be no big deal to make a showa bottom and a kayaba bottom internally and the outside design would stay the same.

And I knew fiche-man had swap internals before, so that was not an issue.

·
15,420 Posts
For those that don't know the chrome sliders are different aswell, the TL's have the top bush on the slider, the GSXR's are within the fork outer so it's not a simple case of swapping the complete bottoms.

·
15,420 Posts
Would probably be easier making the necessary "Kits" to fit Radial forks into TL yokes (Caliper Spacers/Disc Spacers/Bottom Triple Sleeves) :O

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
them are shiney genuine ohlins busa forks :)

·
Banned
5,308 Posts
wow! didn't think there was that much interest in my topic.
i was looking later last night and saw TLR-billbo has busa forks with the lowers on (at least he lists them as being busa forks in the thread in the pics forum)
http://www.postwhore.biz/albums/userpics/10082/normal_4-17-06 006.jpg
Who do you think talked him into running the 108mm spacing fork bottoms, so some day he could upgrade to real calipers. They were trying to sell him the 100mm spacing bracket, but then you would be stuck with those shit cast brembo's that come stock on Ducs.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
them are shiney genuine ohlins busa forks :)
oooooohhhhhh. i didn't realize busas were fast like gsxr's and TL's for them to have ohlins make stuff for 'em. i thought they were only good for :bling

1 - 14 of 14 Posts