TLZone Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read and re-read most of the posts on fork leaks, fork seals and just don't feel comfortable trying it myself. It's not that I'm not mechanically inclined...Just that I feel there are too many small details for me to overlook. (This would be my first fork job)
My Left fork has been leaking since early summer and I don't like the idea of having a leaky fork.:banghead

The forks were redone several years ago by Lindeman Engineering, but the springs were set up for Wingspan, who is a tad bigger than me. I like the idea of sending them back to LE, but I'm pretty sure cost will be an issue.

Is there anyway to soften the spring rate or suit the forks for a 145lb guy? If I remember right, Mark said he was about 210~215 in gear.

If sending them back to LE is too much then I am looking for a good place to have them done in or around Columbus, Ohio.

Has anyone here had a great experience with any shops in the area?

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
No way to change the spring rate but you can (and already should have) adjust the predload to get correct race sag. New springs are ~$100 from race tech, but the stock springs are actually probably just right for you and you might be able to find some really cheep:)

You can adjust the damping to suit you and it would be wise to put 5wt oil in when you change it (5wt is stock, its likely wingspan being a larger fellow went with 7.5wt..)

Did you read oldTLSDoug's pictoral on fork seals? That combined with the manual is as much info/help as one could possibly hope for short of someone comming over to show you how to do it. Forks really aren't all that hard, just take your time and do as the manual says:thumbup

good luck

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
:stupid

You can always call LE & ask them how much a "basic fork service" with replacing the fork seals would run. I think he will probably ask you what the fork slider looks like to see if he needs to polish the slider. I don't remember if the fork slider polishing is part of the basic fork service package but you can certainly find out. Lindemann Engineering is in Cambell, Cali & the phone number is (408) 371-6151. Do you know if the forks were revalved or not when Jim did the last service? That will make a huge difference in the fork spring rate he will recommend for those forks. How do I know this? I argued with him about this as I was ready to hand him a set of TLS forks to be revalved. I knew at my 160 lbs. w/o gear I needed a set of 0.90 kg fork springs as the set of 0.85 kg Race Tech springs were just a little bit too soft for me to get the rider's sag I needed without adding all the washers Race Tech included in their spring kit. Jim's response was that his revalved forks work best with 1.0 kg springs & he insisted that this was the right route to go. He added that in a few rare cases when he was working with very lightweight racers he opted for a 0.95 kg spring but it was a pretty rare situation.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I weight 140lbs. 0.85kg/mm springs from race tech are recommended for a 154lb rider. I just ordered my 0.85kg/mm springs because that's the closest rate they sell to what I needed. If the suspension was tuned with stock valving for a previous rider who was 200+ lbs then they're probably way too stiff for you, as is your shock spring. A replacement shock spring can be ordered from Lindemann also.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts