TLZone Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

not been on for ages as the TLR's forked both started leaking, luckily at the end of the summer so had them rebuilt and at the same time anodised a nice gold/bronze colour and the top yoke powder coated black, takes a few years off the old girl for sure! :)

any ways, I am pretty sure the std fork/yoke height is 5mm, can anyone confirm this? :O

when i put it all back together I set it as 10mm each side, should quicken the steering up a little?

What height does everyone run their TLR forks at?

Cheers.

·
Registered
13,114 Posts
its a personal thing really and depending on where you sit on the bike determines how much the front end is compressed ( and your weight )
set it standard and find a nice couple of corners.
try to ride it neutrally and observe how it steers. If it steers naturally wide and you have to turn it in its too high . slide them thru.
if it dips toward the gutter and you have to steer it wider to hold a line its too short and push the forks thru ( less showing on top.)
the notion of faster turn in is just that . True handling is in predictability and neutrality.

follow my directions and it will be perfect for YOU.:thumbup

·
Registered
13,114 Posts
BTW if you want light er turn in with quicker steering then you need to change the offset in the triples. its a mod I do . I change it back to 30mm the same as a GSXR.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hi,

it was A ok before the rebuild, not ridden it since putting it back together due to bad weather.

Will give it a go at 10mm if its crap will go back to 5mm :)

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Look in the workshop manual in the file vault it gives the standerd setting. But dropping the front another 5-10mm on the Tlr is a good baseline then do what ringin said. Even better still raise the rear by sticking a washer under the top shock mount as per the thread in the frequent mods section. The Tlr is vastly improved sharpening the steering. As always though make sure you set your front and rear sag first otherwise you willendup just chasing your tail.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
already have the ohlins omn the back and it works great!

tbh it was fine at 5mm just thought I would give it an extra 5mm and see how she goes.

bike was all set up previously for rider of same weight and felt good for me out the bag, could no doubt be setup even better but then it may start getting all twitchy on me?!

it's nice and stable as it is but steers pretty quick still I guess?

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Stock is 6.5mm I used 13mm worked well. I had 1.0 kg springs and a Penske though, so your results may vary.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thats set at 10mm there aint it mate?

6.5 - 13mm in one jump?

how did the handling change feeling wise?

cheers.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I have found that tires make a massive difference. I needed the back raised and the front dropped with bridgestones but the 2CT's I have on at the moment I needed to go back amost to stock. If you were happy before then stick with goose settings and just fine tune like ringin said.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
need to get out on the damn thing, fingers crossed for nice sunshine this sat with no damp roads! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts