TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got a box in the mail...........

Notes on installation. I laid in the floor a while after I passed out from all the blood leaving my brain..........:devious

Anyway, I had to grind on the left side tank support a bit, the fit was like it was made for the bike...and of course it was. Haven't ridden it yet, as I am unable to quit drooling and touching it. As far as installation is concerned, I like the Penske better, the Ohlins, then if I had to, the Bitubo. The old LE Penske set up is the easiest install of all of them. Of course you can't get it anymore, except used, so that makes the Ohlins attactive. I ordered an Eibach spring from LE and it should be here soon.

It is definitely more plush than the stocker, but I haven't ridden it. Maybe tomorrow?

Woo Hoo!

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are a gazillion pictures of TLS's with Ohlins, so I didn't take any.......:coocoo

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
What? That's not the camera toting bike modding Doug I know? Where's the pics? :rant

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
nice:hail

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
gixxerjasen said:
What? That's not the camera toting bike modding Doug I know? Where's the pics? :rant

Let's see where to start here...............hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....Jasen, I realize it is pretty high up for you, but if you go above yamahaspence's post and read the words, you will have your answer. I realize you were a marine, but with a blackberry and a Gixxer we know you can sort of read............

Marine Joke:

Why do they have Marines on Aircraft Carriers?

Sheep would be too obvious :lol

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
I did see that, but they aren't pictures of YOUR TLS with YOUR Ohlins. It just doesn't seem right for the original picture whore to shy away from posting pics of his install. It's quite sad really.

Oh yea, no blackberry since May 1.

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
...here comes the gap mod...then a tire hugger...then...

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
i gots me one of those pretty boxes too.. I feel giddy just holding it..... (the box)

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
the bitubo was a pain in the ass to install! but now i know what has to be done to get it back in easy! drop the motor out and you can have it installed in minutes!

·
Registered
909 Posts
Woo Hoo!

That new shock is PUUUURRRRRRDY!

I can't wait to chase the TLS around the track....:devious

EDIT: Holy Shit! You cleaned off your work bench!!:laugh

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Chad, work bench took a while :banghead

For the forks Raleigh5 is helping me out with some old TLR parts. I am going to put in TLR springs (.934 kg/mm) and full TLR rebound/compression valving and fill 'em with synthetic 10 wt. oil. They will rock compared to stock :coocoo

Update to it all is I went out for a short ride on the thing. WOW! I don't remember the Penske first ride, but this friggin shock rocks. I pushed the rear up and down on the lift and added 8 clicks of rebound and 4 clicks of compression from stock. I had set the spring a half inch more pre-load than before and even with the Stock SOAS it rocks! Very plush, bike is up about an inch in the rear, I can't flat foot the thing anymore, but man is it better. Turn in is way faster due to the higher rear. Front works a lot better with the rear sorted. The TLS is a sweet handling bike, and the Ohlins really shows that off.

So bottom line, I think the Ohlins is a little better than the Penske was, on the TLS, on the R I liked the Penske because you can fiddle with ride height. The adjustability of the Ohlins is great and it works awesome.

Verdict? Worth every penny! :thumbup

·
Registered
104 Posts
is the rear ride height adjustible with this, or the other 2 shocks available for the tls? I know you need to buy an aftermarket adjuster for the stock shock, but not sure for the aftermarket ones.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Nope, not ride height adjustable without an additional ride height adjuster, dito for all the other shocks available for the TLS to the best of my knowledge. With some aftermarket shocks you are limited in how much you can increase ride height because the shock will top out, this is the case with the Ohlins and I think Pensky but not bitubo obviously.

have fun

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
Doug, for the next mod you should go for a Ziggy999 Rear Height Adjuster nice part. I have an Ohlins shock also and I agree with you, the best money spent on the bike.

Before I was fighting all the time with the rotary but since I fit the Ohlins....I just forget about rear suspension...It just work like suposse to it should do :)

Just wait to see your next step on the blue TLS :hail

1 - 20 of 26 Posts