TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question i finally talked the GF into getting a hand gun for some home protection..first i know a shotgun would be best but she is against getting something that big and affraid she cant handle it..But do to recent events she is ready i have taken her shooting a few times and she likes the 380 the best i have one but it jams alot..So my question is who has the best 380 on the market?? i would rather her get a 9mm or bigger for more stoping power but the look and the fact she almost lost grip shooting my 40cal sub compact glock and didnt do much better with a 9mm was convincing enough to settle on the 380 we are going shopping this weekend..
 

·
Scooter hottie chauffeur
Joined
·
4,663 Posts
Taurus, Ruger, Smith & Wesson.... (that is in order of cost)

I will recomend one other thing if you are really REALLY interested in reliability

a revolver, in .357 Rem Mag....

you can shoot .38 specal through it to pratice with and then stoke it with .357 Rem Mag when it's waiting for a goblin. Revolver won't jam, pretty dead on accurate. .357 Rem mag is up in the 80+% one shot stopping range. the recoil on a .38 spl is less sharp then the .380 auto...

one other thing to look at is reloading your own for pratice, I make up target rounds that are very light and much less expensive.. (I'm super cheap, cast my own bullets... I can shoot .45ACP for the same price as .22LR)

Ruger GP100 with a 4 inch barrel or the SP101 super snubby.

Taurus makes a good snub nose .357

with the proper grips a revolver is even less punishing then the semi autos.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
24,892 Posts
For compact stuff I really like seecamp
http://seecamp.com/index.htm They are more expensive than kal-tech but much better made. The Kal-tech guns work ok, I've shot their 380 - but from what I've read they don't hold up if you put a lot of rounds through them (probably not a huge concern).

FYI my mom doesn't care for most handguns but does very well with her S&W Mariner 18" 12ga (and she's 5'2" and 100lbs).
 

·
Moderator,
Joined
·
8,243 Posts
Rifleman said:
Taurus, Ruger, Smith & Wesson.... (that is in order of cost)

I will recomend one other thing if you are really REALLY interested in reliability

a revolver, in .357 Rem Mag....

you can shoot .38 specal through it to pratice with and then stoke it with .357 Rem Mag when it's waiting for a goblin. Revolver won't jam, pretty dead on accurate. .357 Rem mag is up in the 80+% one shot stopping range. the recoil on a .38 spl is less sharp then the .380 auto...

one other thing to look at is reloading your own for pratice, I make up target rounds that are very light and much less expensive.. (I'm super cheap, cast my own bullets... I can shoot .45ACP for the same price as .22LR)

Ruger GP100 with a 4 inch barrel or the SP101 super snubby.

Taurus makes a good snub nose .357

with the proper grips a revolver is even less punishing then the semi autos.
:stupid Rifleman just gave my normal advice for protection handguns for beginners. Revolvers are virtually foolproof. If it doesn't go "BANG" you just pull the trigger again, none of that tap/rack drill stuff for the novice to try to remember. .357 Mag shooting .38 special is the way to go too. Any of the three manufacutrer's mentioned will work just fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
276 Posts
1crock said:
:stupid Rifleman just gave my normal advice for protection handguns for beginners. Revolvers are virtually foolproof. If it doesn't go "BANG" you just pull the trigger again, none of that tap/rack drill stuff for the novice to try to remember. .357 Mag shooting .38 special is the way to go too. Any of the three manufacutrer's mentioned will work just fine.
:stupid
By far, a beginners is much better off with a revolver. The .357 is nice because you can shoot .38 as well.

For home defense, I'd stay away from the kel-tec. Is real nice as a pocket gun, but most women have a hard time racking the slide. And hey Josh, kel-tec just came out with a 9mm thats only slightly bigger than the P3-AT .380. I think it may hold one les round or something.
 

·
Scooter hottie chauffeur
Joined
·
4,663 Posts
I would look at a 20 guage with a deer slug barrel and get one of those mounts that holds a flashlight under the barrel... I alighned it so that the center of the light, is where the shot gun shoots. If you can see it, you can hit it. I really think that if you teach her with the shot gun, it doesn't kick nearly as bad as you would think...

and every perp in the world knows what a round being racked into the shot gun sounds like.

"No holaba englais senior...."

Cha-CHUNK

"no mas, NO MAS!!!"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,215 Posts
chopiesel said:
how does that saying go again? oh yeh....only in america.
Yeah, cos our politicians figure we're all too stupid to own guns. Assholes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
I bought a Sprinfield XD-40 and my GF thought it was a little much, her wrist was hurting after 50 rounds throught it. So I bought her a Walther p22, cute little gun, very fun to shoot but no stopping power, but she loves it and I have no problem getting her to go to the range anymore. For home protection I got hear a Taurus Tracer .357, 8 shot's 6 inch barrel. Revolvers are totaly fool proof, no safety to worry about, just keep pulling the trigger until it stops making bang noise. I picked it up for aroung $320.00 new.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,892 Posts
plymouth6fou said:
I bought a Sprinfield XD-40 and my GF thought it was a little much, her wrist was hurting after 50 rounds throught it. So I bought her a Walther p22, cute little gun, very fun to shoot but no stopping power, but she loves it and I have no problem getting her to go to the range anymore. For home protection I got hear a Taurus Tracer .357, 8 shot's 6 inch barrel. Revolvers are totaly fool proof, no safety to worry about, just keep pulling the trigger until it stops making bang noise. I picked it up for aroung $320.00 new.

I have a p22.. have you ever shot CCI stingers through it?? its like night and day diff..


click for bigger pic..

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,498 Posts
springfield xd 40 :hail
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank for the help guys its off to the shooting range we go..i will get her to try the .357 with 38 spc rounds see how she likes it..ive shot one before and ther is no recoil issues..only thing is she wants something with a saftey she has 2 small kids but there days has 20 guns and they know not to mess with them..she is not willing to take that risk that is why she is leaning towars a semi-auto with a safety..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
Crotchrckttl said:
I have a p22.. have you ever shot CCI stingers through it?? its like night and day diff..


click for bigger pic..

I've never used stingers, but I'm going to cinco grande and buying some tonight!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
276 Posts
Do you guys with the p22 have problems with it jamming? I'm pretty anal about cleaning guns, and still at the range my wife will have problems with it either jamming or not reloading once a shell is ejected. Part of the problem may be with the shit ammo the range sells. They won't let you use outside ammo, and its a pain to sneak it in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,892 Posts
muddy said:
Do you guys with the p22 have problems with it jamming? I'm pretty anal about cleaning guns, and still at the range my wife will have problems with it either jamming or not reloading once a shell is ejected. Part of the problem may be with the shit ammo the range sells. They won't let you use outside ammo, and its a pain to sneak it in.


I dont have much problems with mine jamming... maybe only once or twice when I shoot a brick of cheap remington ammo through it..
 

·
Scooter hottie chauffeur
Joined
·
4,663 Posts
muddy said:
Part of the problem may be with the shit ammo the range sells. They won't let you use outside ammo, and its a pain to sneak it in.
that is why I reload my own, I can tune my loads to the weapon, 1. increase accuracy to it's max for a given weapon. 2. increase reliability to it's max for a given weapon.

I can reload a round that will stove pipe every single fookin time...(great for training, slip one or two into a mag and see how the shooter reacts to it) up to ones that i have shot over 1000 rounds in one day, never cleaned the weapon and never had a single jame..... course that was a .45ACP which will swallow and spit out just about everything..... but 9 times out of 10 the jam problem is with the ammo... Find something that will feed consistantly, polish the ramp with a little mothers and the dremmel with a buffer pad and volia' all the problems go away.
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top