TLZone Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe looking at a 97 TLS in very nice shape with a little less than 10k on the dial. NADA says low retail is $2500 and average is $3300 do you suppose this are pretty good baseline numbers to start from. Also wondering about 97 specific issues like recalls, I know there was a recall on the ECU was there also one to add a steering damper? I have also heard there were issues with oil leaks and clutch slippage, what's the deal with these? Any info is much appreciated.

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
...the stock steering damper makes the bike feel really heavy - switch it to lighter weight oil or fit an aftermarket damper...

Fit a set of barnett clutch springs and you should be fine, or upgrade to the later years models 6 spring clutch pack.

The clutch push rod seal does leak on many bikes but its a fairly easy fix covered here lots.

Check the frame at the top and bottom rear damper mounts to make sure you don't see any cracks - that is a common area due to not having the bolts tight...

Here's a start and check the chain, etc... for normal wear items...

·
Registered
676 Posts
I picked up my 97 TLS this summer with 12k miles for $3,500 pretty much stock. Bike is in near perfect condition with new tires, also had tank bra, led blinkers plus stock ones, yosh rs3 pipes plus stock ones, extra headlights, oil, filter, kryptonite rotar lock......

So if you are getting it for under 4k its a good deal, start it at $3,000...the guy may be hard up.. Good luck trying to get it!

Lets see some pics

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
one other issue was a recal on the fuel tank...if you know a dealer he can run the vin to see if any of the recall stuff has been done...

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's good info and what was the problem with the tank? I wonder if the shot clock has expired on the recalls or if Suzuki would still honor the items if they had not been done. I know the guy that has it is the 2nd owner and he said the first had had the ECU replaced.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey CW I was just goofing around and I followed your link to the weather forecast and that is when I noticed your location. I was born in Grass Valley in '61 and lived there until the ripe old age of 7. Now I don't remember alot of specifics but I have always thought that it is probably a great area to ride, unlike this pool table I live on with all of it's straight roads intesecting at nice right angles.:puke

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Ronn it IS a great place fantastic roads in all directions...good twisties or mellow sweepers...all with beutiful scenery...when did you leave? lots of changes in last 10 years...one of the newest is going to be the new building for the store that i work for. Company is trying hard to keep big box stores out of the area so after 80 years we are expanding...you may or may not remember Hills Flat Lumber Co....still in same family Grand kids of original owner now running it...

as far as the recals go you need to find a Suzuki Dealer who is willing to run the numbers. do not know if there is a time limit or not...i do know that U.S. auto manufactures must supply parts for a ten year period after model is discontinued hope this helps...still have not saved up to have my replacement tank painted to match my bikes new color...Keep getting involved with other mods:banghead:banghead...perhaps this winter will be the one...???

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
As for price, I think the NADA is on the low side. Expect to spend 3500-4k for a nice one and 2500 for one in poor shape or with a salvage title.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
CW, I left about 39yrs ago when I was 7 but only because my parents made me. I do however remeber the mention of going to Hills Flat but I can't say rather or not it was to the lumber company. You talking about the big chain stores reminds me of a guy on a Ryobi Tools forum I used to frequent, he always refered to Home Depot as "The BORG" ( big orange retail giant) if you were a Star Trek Next Generation fan at all you could appreciate his reference.
I do remember that we lived on Dog Bar road, ever heard of that?

As far as the recalls go I took your advice and called the local suzuki shop and they ran the vin and said that it had had 2 of the 3 recalls that they show on the books completed. It has had the tank recall done and a clutch cover recall done as well. I hadn't heard anyone mention a clutch cover recall. I also asked the guy if the recall on the ECU had "expired" or not and he said they is no longer a bulletin out on it so it would probably not be covered any longer. However the current owner says that the origonal owner had replaced the ECU in 98, I wonder how I would know for sure?

Thanks to you and everyone else who have taken the time to offer input.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Unless it's somebody on the zone, I'd low ball due to winter and use the recall/bad press for tank slappers as a bargaining chip. If you end up at 2500, I'd say you made a good deal. I wouldn't go much over 3k, unless you know that this is the bike for you and the owner has good documentation. I got a 2k from the dealer with 2500 mi, for 3200 out the door. They were listing it for 3800 but I knew noone was going to pay that much for it but it was before cult status began kicking in. They're getting harder and harder to come by. Just be real sure that this is the bike you want. When you get in to 3500 dollar range, you'll have a huge amount of bikes you can choose from.

C

(edit) oh and note on ECU, do a search here and you'll find the codes that'll tell you everything from ECU year and origin, I.E. is it USA, Europe, etc.

·
Moderator,
8,243 Posts
Okay, so I'm bored, but I found it.

Taken from a post by Fiche-man

TL1000SV (1997)

32920-02F00: England and Australia - Original Mapping, Problems with stumbles. Replaced by: 32920-02F01
32920-02F10: France - Original Mapping, Problems with stumbles. Replaced by: 32920-02F11
32920-02F20: Germany ? - Original Mapping, Problems with stumbles. Replaced by: 32920-02F21
32920-02F40: USA - Original Mapping, Problems with stumbles. Replaced by: 32920-02F41
32920-02F50: Switzerland

TL1000SW/ SX and TL1000SY (1998/1999/2000)

32920-02F60: Remaining Countries
32920-02F70: France
32920-02F90: Germany
32920-02FK0: Switzerland

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
WOW 2500. :duno I could not sell mine for much after an accident with a ton of mods on it for more than $1500.00 Oh well it's gone none and I wish you luck.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
i would inspect the frame really well around all the rear suspension mounts and then make an offer if like Cmonkey says it is the bike for you...if you have never riden a TL you are in for a pleasant torquey suprise...i know i was ...this bike is third for me and best i have found...i'm not out for top end or wheelies just good clean fun on all the local roads around here...love to just get out and ride...wonderful stress relief...best of luck..

Y

·
0 Posts
I guess I was a really nice guy when I sold my 97 with a brand new frame for 2750. Oh well, as long as the new owner enoys it as much as I did it's OK.

Don't just check rear susp., Look rearward of radiator mounts, another common frame crack location, hence new frame when I sold mine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
recalls/handlebar conversion

Hi everyone im new on here and i have had aTLs from new in 1998,R.its a us import and the only recall that ive had done was the steering damper,the bike has been in garage most of its life and only covered 8400miles so should i of recieved letters from the dealer about the others?thinking of handlebar conversion,whats the best renthall bars.theres m&p catalogue online 3-1 risers for £49.99 which can be slightly angled to bring them a bit closer would they be any good.many thanks:banghead

1 - 17 of 17 Posts