TLZone Forums banner

Following on from my Brake Pads thread .........

875 views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Bluesman 
#1 ·
Does anyone else have more brake lever travel than "normal" is it a trait of these 6 pot calipers? I've fitted new pads (the old ones were ok actually) and bleed them but the lever still comes a little to far back for my liking, it's the first bike I can't brake with two fingers as I trap my hand! Any help guys.....:banghead

#2 ·
The trick with cable tying the lever back over night helps the bleeding process.
Also, make sure you squeeze the pipe from the reservoir to the m/c to make sure the air doesn't get into the m/c. I find this helps especially if the m/c has been emptied during servicing.
Thats another point have you tried cleaning/servicing the m/c? This can help too.
Another thing some people forget is to move the adjuster on the lever to the furthest position away from the bars, then bleed. Then return it to your favoured position.
Just a few thoughts.

#3 ·
Thanks bigrigdriver a couple of things to try

#5 ·
Cheers timr:thumbup

#6 ·
Hopefully this is not a stupid question........... I've left it overnight with the lever cable tied back, the question is does it matter which caliper you bleed first?

#8 ·
:thumbup

#9 ·
Had the same prob on an srad 750

Serviced the calipers, ebc hh, braided hoses and new fluid......The braking was much improved but still too much travel so put a brembo master cyclinder on....Sorted it straight away so i believe the prob lies with the master cylinder

If you dont want to spend too much chase down a more modern radial item

#10 ·
The reason is at least one of the pistons in your calipers
is sticking a little. Not in the out position but a little less
then the rest of the pistons. So the one piston isn't touching
the back side of the brake pad. When you pull the lever
you have to make up the distance from the piston to the
pad before any brake force is applied to the rotors.
So when you use the zip-tie on the lever overnight method
the piston has a chance to move outward and not be stuck
nearly out position.

#11 ·
I'm with Brendan on this .If you havent had any luck with the other methods ,try cleaning your caliper pistons and regreasing them .Do a search on the "brake magic" by Mac ,I was suffering from exactly the same symptoms and followed this thread . It was instantly better .

#12 ·
Thanks Big Red / Brendan just had a read of "Brake Magic" that'll be my job on Saturday thanks guys:thumbup

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.