TLZone Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there fuel pumps among the GSXR/SV (especially the SV1000) series bikes that have the same flow rate as a TLS? Is the TLR a workable pump - ignore mounting issues here for a second. Is this all that needs be considered if one wanted to swap pumps? Clearance below the tank? Fuel line seems to be universal - what about electrics?

I am frustrated by the lack of parts available here in the US and I want to find a way around it. Thanks for any help/input.

John

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, that at least gives me hope. I think once he bike gets here (still in transit for delivery) I will see if there is room for the pump below the tank. The GSXRs have a part of the pump that depends about 2" below the bottom of the tank. On the GSXRs there is plenty of room to accommodate that.

If that is not true on the TLs, then I will have to re-think this. I want to fabricate a carbon fiber tank, therefore the port for the fuel pump is utterly dependent on what kind of pump will flow the correct amount of fuel and if the pump will physically fit under the tank... if that makes any sense at all.

Cheers,

John

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
Not seen the Dodge Caravan fuel pump conversion?

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
There is clearance for the GSXR fuel pump. In the end, I swapped my rear valve cover for a 97 TLS cover that was non-vented. I vented my front valve cover and routed the lines appropriately. The sump on the pump will touch the rear spark plug book, but just barely. Filters are easier to change, easier to find and it's a lot cheaper to replace in the coming years.

The pumps create the same pressure (internal venting around 100 psi) and flow is sufficient. The pressure regulator on the rail is what determines the pressure on the rail, so no issues there. Most of the fuel is returned back to the tank via the fuel rail regulator.

The caravan pump is noisey, bottom line. The GSXR pump is probably quieter than the stock TL pump. It has a built in sump, so the TL will run a lot longer on a low tank because the fuel cannot slosh away from the pump inlet. The pump is sealed with an o-ring and if the flange is made correctly, it will never leak, no matter how many times you take it out (assuming the o-ring is not damaged or hardened). The fuel level indicators are not at the same level (there are actually two of them in the GSXR pump asm.) and I chose the higher of the two. My fuel light would come on around 75 miles, so the lower might be more suitable.

Out of all the mods I did, this probably gave me the best feeling. Knowing my bike will never leak fuel again was a huge relief.

Man I miss that machine shop. :(

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is clearance for the GSXR fuel pump. In the end, I swapped my rear valve cover for a 97 TLS cover that was non-vented. I vented my front valve cover and routed the lines appropriately. The sump on the pump will touch the rear spark plug book, but just barely. Filters are easier to change, easier to find and it's a lot cheaper to replace in the coming years.

The pumps create the same pressure (internal venting around 100 psi) and flow is sufficient. The pressure regulator on the rail is what determines the pressure on the rail, so no issues there. Most of the fuel is returned back to the tank via the fuel rail regulator.

The caravan pump is noisey, bottom line. The GSXR pump is probably quieter than the stock TL pump. It has a built in sump, so the TL will run a lot longer on a low tank because the fuel cannot slosh away from the pump inlet. The pump is sealed with an o-ring and if the flange is made correctly, it will never leak, no matter how many times you take it out (assuming the o-ring is not damaged or hardened). The fuel level indicators are not at the same level (there are actually two of them in the GSXR pump asm.) and I chose the higher of the two. My fuel light would come on around 75 miles, so the lower might be more suitable.

Out of all the mods I did, this probably gave me the best feeling. Knowing my bike will never leak fuel again was a huge relief.

Man I miss that machine shop. :(
Excellent information! Thank you. The bike carcass gets delivered tomorrow, so I can take some measurements and can do a mock-up. I will post up results of the attempt when it happens.

I also do not want to be at the mercy of a dwindling supply of affordable pumps. I have a stock tank that I will use as a form for CF tank and I will use the GSXR pump I have sitting around as a reference.

Again, thanks.

John

1 - 7 of 7 Posts