TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went to summit point with the o6 zx6r for my first track day ever yesterday. I started in the beginners group and took the first couple sessions to learn the track and see how the bike was going to do. Once I got comfortable I was the second fastest bike in the group, my friend mark that I went with was the fastest. After a while me and mark were playing with the control riders and I got cocky and ended up pushing a right hand corner in a bumpy part of the track and lost the rear, it slid on the track for half a second before hitting the grass. After that I got bumped from beginners class straight to the advanced group, but I lost all my confidence after lowsiding it that I only did one session and called it a day. I think going to advanced was too big of a jump for my first track day, I think intermediate will be where I settle at for the next season. So whats the trick to getting my confidence back now, this was the first time I've ever been on the ground.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Congrats on the track day:thumbup Don't let a little thing like a low side get ya down, its all part of the game. Go back out as soon as you can and run int group:thumbup

If it makes ya feel any better, I raced an entire HS series and crashed at least once in every single event (still won a few though:devious).

Some extra-sticky rubber might also help ya get your groov back:banana

have fun

·
Super Mod,
3,568 Posts
That’s one of the reasons I stopped going to the Loudoun Motorsports track days. A good day for getting your feet wet with track days but some things just seemed a little out of sorts... Like going from Beginner to Advanced.

As for getting the confidence back... Just get back on the bike, the sooner the better.

If you want to keep doing track days look into TPM or NESBA. It's just a better track experience.

·
Will ride for Food
697 Posts
:stupid

Beginner to advanced!! Wow!!

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
...doesn't sound too smart on the part of the track officials:no....

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
Wait...you crashed and then they bumped you up? That's definately wierd.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, it was kinda wierd but I'd been running great all day and I honestly dont know exactly what happend to make me crash, but I did get right back on the bike, I just wasnt as confident. As for advanced group, yeah, that was a bad call but I thought it was cool that I got bumped that quick. I only did one session in the advanced group then I went down to intermediate and ran two sessions. I just dont have any faith in the tires now, or that corner on that track anymore. I think I'm going to get a set of pilot powers and go up to a 190 on the rear tire and maybe lower my tire pressure next time out. However, I dont think I'll be going back to summit point, I think I'll go to VIR next time, I've heard it's a much better track.

·
Super Mod,
3,568 Posts
What turn was it?

Main is a challenge and takes some getting use to. You can look at it two different ways; One as a fast flowing track with a lot of intricacies that make it more of a challenge or as a track that needs a lot of attention (how most see it). A lot of Summit riders would have rather seen the money that was spent on the Shenandoah circuit used to re-do the Main track. I've gotten use to Main and now love the Shenandoah circuit so I like the direction they went. Having Summit just over an hour away make going to VIR hard for someone in my position.

·
14,150 Posts
What tires were you running? :O

I had a highside on a particular corner at MSR that I somehow managed to save. The rest of the day I tip toed through that turn. End result though was that I guess the tires weren't scrubbed in quite enough as I've since now railed through that corner harder than the time I did the highside on the exact same tires.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think it was in turn 6 in the carousel part of the track. I was running stock bridgestones that came on the bike. Turn one was not too bad going into it once I got my timing down on the braking, exiting turn one was difficult because there's one small bump in the exit and if I was running second gear hard it would lift the front wheel while the bike was leaned over pretty far, I learned hitting third gear just before the bump seemed to help with that part.

·
14,150 Posts
Hmmm, what bridgestones? I've run 010's and 014's at the track on a heavy TLR with stock suspension and even on uneven and rough sections I've had enough traction. That's wierd.

Not that different tires would hurt any...but it may not have been your problem and swapping tires may not help. What pressure were you running?

Just out of curiosity. Have you ever had your suspension set up? Sag and all that? That could help too if it hasn't been done.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was running 32 front and rear when the tires were warm, not sure about when they were cold. I've played with the suspension a little bit but only on the street. I'm not exactly blaming the tires I just dont know exactly what happend that caused me to crash.

·
14,150 Posts
Yea, it always sucks after a crash trying to put your finger on exactly what the cause was. So far I've been able to pretty much figure mine out after much speculation and investigation. Sucks looking back on my riding career and thinking in terms of crash(es) plural. :coocoo

32 cold may have been a tad high I think, depending on what bridgestones you were running, but nothing I think that would have caused a crash. Maybe a combination of things...tires, pressure, suspension settings, bumpy pavement and getting confident on the track and getting a tad hamfisted on the throttle....who knows.

·
Super Mod,
3,568 Posts
T5 is the nasty left at the bottom of the hill then T6 is the quick right that flows into T7 to continue the right then left for T8 and right for T9 (the carousel).

When pushing that hard the stock tires are not up to the challenge. I use to think a good tire designed for aggressive street and a bit of track would be sufficient (BT-012). Not anymore. To push hard on Main you need a track tire. The feedback a good track tire makes lets you know what is happening and then it's up to you to work with it. I found street tires to abrupt on the track, it held or it didn't.

T6/7 in the wet...

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, looking at your pic it had to be in turn 7 because it was a right hand turn and it looks exactly like the one in your pic except without the cone.

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
Glad to hear you're okay. I told you to not say that you would be next. Anyways, glad it happen at the track and you where prepared "dress wise: for it.

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
:stupid

Lowsides are part and parcel of trackdays, if you're adventurous enough.

Hope you're hooked. :thumbup

BTW bumping you up from beginners might have been for the benefit of the safety of the other beginner riders.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
But bumping him up to the Advanced group! Never seen that with someone on their first asphalt track day although we have had a couple of riders out there that may have been close. But they were dirt track or motocross racers so they had a clue on how to ride pretty darn fast. So we put them in the Intermediates for a few sessions & one had a go in the Advanced group at the end of the day. His opinion was "OMG the Advanced guys are fast." My response, "well no shiat, they are club racers with a few AMA pros in there as well - it's not their first day on an asphalt racetrack & they know how to ride fast."

Also doing that to someone who just crashed? Maybe that's maybe more of a "so you want to ride really fast & you crashed? Here, ride with some really fast riders!" kind of thing? I would have definitely downloaded all that info from the rider who went down (stuff I usually do at our track days) & probably would have let you go back out in the Beginner's group for one more session & if you felt up to it bump you up to the intermediates. You got to evaluate where the rider is mentally with making moves like that & where their comfort zone is at. Especially considering it was your first day out there! Damn. Best thing to help your confidence is to review all the mistakes you made, figure out to the best of your ability what you did wrong & then go back out & ride and work on not making the same mistakes. Sounds to me like it was a combination of factors. Probably too much exit speed given the bumps on the exit of the turn that was exacerbated by a possible suspension set up issue & riding too hard on street compound tires. That'll put you on your butt in a hurry.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Your bike comes with BT014's on it stock.. I love them tires.. I dunno about the whole thing about going to a 190 rear though...I would stay with the 180/55... I believe it is a 5.5 inch rear rim.. :confused... I will have to go check mine

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Which track club was it?

I like the Bridgestone 014 and Michelin Pilot Powers for the track. That said, I moved up to Metzler Racetecs this year and I noticed that they were definitely a cut above a standard sport tire.

I also would be curious what your pressure was cold. 32 PSI warm sounds a bit low. I can see a rear tire getting squirrelly in full lean with pressure that low. My tires are at 32PSI cold in summer weather, might drop them back to 30 PSI cold in cooler weather.

Ken

1 - 20 of 22 Posts