TLZone Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I got my infrared lens filter in last week and haven't really had time to play with it. I had to take the camera (Nikon D70) to work today to photograph the progress of our LAN room and MDF room as we are having our two floors completely rewired. Anyway, I brought along the IR filter and decided to play a bit on my lunch break.

First off, it's much harder to take IR pics with a DSLR than a regular point and shoot like my old Canon G2. Since you can't see anything through the eyepiece and the display doesn't show till you shoot a pic you have two ways to take pics. Either frame up your shot sans filter, then screw on the filter and take the pic....too time consuming. Or you can shoot, look, adjust, shoot, look, adjust, shoot, look, adjust till you get it right. And even still you can't really see the results too entirely well at first, especially under optimal IR conditions where the suns shining brightly so that you can't see the screen very well.

Anyway, in the past I've concentrated on filming plants and water and such. Today I decided to give buildings a try. Here's the results. I've got to play some more so that I can get more comfortable but not bad for my first effort out.

enjoy! :thumbup

Here's the building that I work in.

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
Dude that's a sweet and huge building. I bet there are mega babes everywhere.

I need me a job like that.

·
14,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
deltl1ks said:
I bet there are mega babes everywhere..
You know....you would think this would be true. But I've found them to be quite scarce. Most of these buildings are bank regional and operations headquarters. My personal hypothesis is that banks don't care how good looking the girl is who processes paperwork or takes phone calls....but when a good looking one applies, they send her ass to one of the branches where she can look good for the customers. Mostly in my building is old women and big women....maybe that's your thing, I dunno, but not me.

Don't get me wrong, there's a few smokin ones here and there, but it's not the smorgasboard you'd be lead into thinking there is.

·
Registered
276 Posts
How's the IR lenses work on the Digital? I shot IR film years ago, and then I read an article on tweaking the shooting menus and curves in a Digital to get IR like results. But I never seen an IR lenses. Granted I've benn out of the loop for awhile.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I actually just re-read your post. I thought you actually bought a different lense. Are you shooting with an 87c or something, or are you going with gelatin filters?

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Cool pics:hail

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
Well not big big big woman average I'll look at. Anything else nah.

·
14,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
muddy said:
I actually just re-read your post. I thought you actually bought a different lense. Are you shooting with an 87c or something, or are you going with gelatin filters?
I'm using a Hoya R72 screw on filter. Actually do a google search for digital IR and the like and you'll come up with a lot of info and people's pictures.

Digital for the most part makes it really easy to shoot IR photos depending on the camera. Lots of digital cameras have a filter to filter out the IR to improve the normal photo quality. However there's lots of cameras out there that do shoot IR very well with the simple addition of a filter. I had a Canon G2 that did really well and supposedly the G1 did even better.

My current Nikon D70 is about middle of the pack because Nikon did include the filter over the sensor, but it still works for IR photography. I hadn't played with IR since I sold my G2 to a friend and then Sweet posted up some of his and I started doing some research and found I could do it with my D70 so I ordered up a filter and now am figuring out the settings to use to get good shots with my camera.

Thanks for the input guys.

·
14,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here's my building shot regularly from a different street corner for the curious....with a side building painted out and an increase in saturation a tad.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts