TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Chief Moderator for my kids Julia & Kristen,
5,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I went up to Red Cone today with my friend Bob and his new CRF230. Bob is a good sport - he is having surgery on his right elbow for tendon issues tomorrow and he was in quite a bit of pain, but wanted to go riding anyway, as he will not be able to for awhile after the surgery.

I figured the 4X4 trails at Red Cone would be be not too difficult. Pretty much the case, except we went up one trail that was pretty technical - later looking at the 4X4 book he brought along showed that the trail was given a "7" difficulty rating, the highest of any trail in the book. Difficult for 4X4's perhaps, but just another technical but not overly challenging trail on a good dirt bike. Passed a couple of barely moving rock crawling jeeps at, oh, 30 mph, front end aloft :laugh

Truth be told, while the trail got solid rock to rock gnarly at times, we could not get to the best part due to snow. above the tree line, the trail runs up the bald rocky hill (in the background of the 5th photo) to the top. From the photos, the climb at that last part looks challenging. I will have to return there this summer, when it is hot and the cool of the high elevation will be a nice reprieve, to take a run at that hill.

Ya, big man I was today. Smoking slow moving trucks and leaving a near crippled friend on a CRF 230 behind at will. After the spanking that BP handed me last season, I needed an ego boost. Aiming low is a sure solution :devious

While the 4X4 trails were not the last word in hard core off roading, the scenery was simply awesome. :hail We wound up at over 12,000 feet, with the trail ending at a closed and marked no trespassing / radioactive uranium mine. It was fun to just go for a ride. A couple times the throttle got twisted hard, but mostly it was just cruising and enjoying the amazing scenery.

Ya, I told Bob to remove the mirrors. He wanted them on for some reason :banghead Anyway, I took a spin on his CRF. It is a plush little bike with more go power than I thought it would have at the nosebleed elevation. As long as it is not too bumpy, the low down CRF steers like a slot car and generally rails pretty good, actually. It works well for my friend, he is only 5-4 or so, not very heavy and a competent but not an aggressive rider. To his credit, he rode that CRF with his painful elbow through some rock sections that would have made BP proud :hail Enjoy the pics!

·
Registered
435 Posts
BEAUTIFUL, not you, the scenery. Was the gray hair there before the mine visit?

Tim

W

·
0 Posts
simply fantastic shots duken!! :) :hail :thumbup

what an awesome scenery indeed :drool :yes :yes

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Great pics, wish I were there:drool :roost

My best-man's wife has a CRF230F (she's something like a 5-time district 7 harescramble champ - defeated only one year (by my sister:laugh)) and really likes it. I've ridden it a bit, its a good trail cruiser but would be a lot better with less weight and better brakes and suspension. The motor did bark quite nicely and would find traction anywhere. She's also got a CRF150R for those times when the 230 just isn't going to cut it.

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
CRF and a DRZ...couldn't you guys get some real bikes?

Oh yea, and if you need an ego boost, you can go riding with me. :D Still need to get my brake fixed, but no time to ride right now anyway.

·
5,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I rode that CRF and was not expecting much to be honest. It was better than I expected. Put some real wheels and suspension under it and it would make a nice technical trails dirt bike. The motor is of the electric variety and quite effective. It is the perfect bike for my friend.

Funny thing about the DRZ. With the engine mods and power mods I have done to it, it is very effective, especially on the kind of rock trails shown in the pics. It is heavy of course, but it simply kicks ass in rocks. Perhaps it just smashes 'em flat with it's sheer weight :lol The paid for and low maint aspect of it is highly appealing these days :D

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Very nice. Your friend looks like your shorter, older brother.

·
5,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Your friend looks like your shorter, older brother.
Much shorter I might add :lol Long arm self portraits always crack me up.

I am almost 5 years older than Bob (he is 42, I just turned 47). What can I say. Good living, including non stop on and off road riding, keeps a man young :D

·
14,150 Posts
Perhaps it just smashes 'em flat with it's sheer weight
Likely true, that would explain all the dust behind you when you ride.

The paid for and low maint aspect of it is highly appealing these days :D
I hear ya, the KTM is now 11 years old. I really don't see much reason for something new. Granted, it needs some newish parts, but that's my fault, not the bikes.

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
awesome pictures. :thumbup love the snow in the shots. what were the temps like?

·
5,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
what were the temps like?
Mid to upper 60's at the bottom, probably upper 50's at the top. I was fine in just my MX jersey. One works up a sweat when DRZ wrasslin' :roost

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Nice shots! It almost looks like you could find a way to ride to the summit when more snow melts. I have a CRF230L bike that I loan out to friends and scoot around town with. He might want a skid plate but I concur, fun bike and very unintimidating to throw around.

·
5,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I definitely plan to ride to the summit when the snow melts :roost

I did go around the drift shown in the picture, only to be completely blocked off up the trail a little farther.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I work at an old army base and I have signs like that in the building that I work in. My hair is turning gray also, must be true that it is a radioactive area

·
5,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
More off road photo whoring, Dukette edition. Took my 11 year old for a ride at Central City :roost

Lunch at "trails end". Actually, the trail "deteriorated" into the gnarly rocky fun stuff at this point so we stopped. She has to learn to walk before she can run. A bit frustrating for rock craving Dad though, to stop when the going got good :bandhead Oh the sacrifices parents make :lol

All geared up and ready to roll!

Scenery.

Cool pic of a hummingbird perched at an old iron cross. The staging area is by an old cemetery, with graves going back to the early 1800's.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Fantastic pics as always:hail

I might know some charcter that would be up for riding the rocky bits with you sometime in August:deal

·
14,150 Posts
Count your blessings. Before you know it she'll be asking her old dad if he needs his daughter to ride his bike through the hard stuff. :laugh
:bandhead
Great pics, but why do you call her a bandhead? :rotfl

·
5,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Doh!

I tried shooting some video with my digital camera. It actually shoots nice 16X9 widescreen video. On the bike, camera in my hand to steady it (riding a DRZ400 one handed, do not try this at home) following the kid. It did not turn out though, the camera could not decide where to focus and it was jigglevision. Oh well. Had it turned out well, I would likely have screwed it into my visor for a budget helmet cam :lol

1 - 20 of 30 Posts