TLZone Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got all the bits-n-pieces back together and started it up a few times over the last few days. Trying to do the TPS and TB adjustments (air box off, with all sensors connected). Did the thermostat mod and inline fuel filter mod. Right now it starts up after one or two cranks, and let it warm up for a few minutes before shutting off the idle. Once I do this, the motor will slowly rev down then stall. I can hear a couple puffs as the motor revs down right before it stalls. It does not want to idle below 1600 rpm without stalling. I found the idle screw and adjusted that some to where it will idle around 1800 rpm. Even after a couple minutes though it will still stall.

I've taken my time putting all of the pieces together, along with new coolant (bled out the air - a far as I can tell). I haven't yet adjusted either the TPS or TB. I have to drill out the anti-tamper stud on the bolts holding the TPS before I can adjust that, but do you think that might solve my issue? I'm soooooooo close to riding this thing it hurts!

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Sounds a bit like you are losing fuel pressure. Have you checked the pump, filter, flow rates etc?

If you've done an external in-line filter mod did you use submersible hose for bypassing the OEM filter in the tank?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, I did not use a submersible hose, at least it didn't indicate that it was. I used quality fuel injection hose from a NAPA store.

I did not, nor do I have a way to check the flow rates. I guess I'll have to check the fuel pump. Any way to check it without removing it?

I'm not near my bike to check right now, but would putting the fuel filter in the wrong way cause a pressure issue. I think I put it in correctly, but I might be wrong.

I did not fill the tank up, just about a 1/2 gallon, in case I needed to take the tank off again.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
If you are going to use the hose inside the tank it MUST be rated as submersible. Otherwise you risk it dissolving.

Flow rates you can do just by unhooking the return line. Its documented in the manual and plenty of refs in the archives. lmgtfy ;)

http://www.tlzone.net/forums/suzuki.../129291-fuel-pump-pressure-flow-question.html

Most inline filters have a big arrow on them denoting the direction of fuel flow. Either that or it say IN and OUT on the respective ends.

Just having a little fuel in the tank shouldn't affect the pressure seen at the injectors. That's the job of the pump and the regulator. However if the bit of hose you've used to bypass the OEM filter has dissolved and split then there's a good chance the fuel is not being pumped to where its supposed to be.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts