TLZone Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, just got a brand new laptop:banana
and i got my pictures taken for a business card and asked them to put it on a cd in .jpg format. Well i got the cd and it came in two formats; *.raw and *.cr2 now i am not familiar with either of these formats and i cant open them with any of the software on my laptop except for windows fax and pic preview.... so how do i convert these to .jpg and whats a good program for that?

thanks,
Jesse

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
rename it to .jpg :O some annoying software like ZAP likes to relabel extensions but it's still the same file.

ACDSee has a free version, albeit an old version, of their image viewing software. That'll view & convert most file formats. A .raw is not a .jpg though so you'll have to convert it - MS Paint will probably open .raw & then you can save as .jpg

All an extension does is tell you what it probably is & tells windows what to use to open it. It may or may not be correct ;)

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:hail Thanks, Didnt think about paint.:coocoo

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nobody does & when they do they wish they hadn't :laugh
Sometimes its others that wish the other person didnt open MSpaint.... i believe polly could have easly been born in paint.:laugh

Thanks once again.

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
Sorry, but your not going to be able to do that. Those files are in raw format, which means they won't simply open with any old paint program and renaming them won't work either. You'll need Canon's raw converter software as the cr2 extension is for Canon's raw digital image files.

I would go back and explain to them that you asked for it in a jpg format and they should provide you with it. That cr2 format is useless without Canon's software. Now maybe if you know someone with a Canon digital camera with the software...maybe someone on here. I have one but have no clue where the software is as I don't shoot my pocket camera with their raw format, just straight to jpg.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info jason,
i did get the other file format to work with just adding the *.jpg ending to it (the *.cr2 format). So i got my pics and all is well. Thanks for your help guys.

jesse

1 - 8 of 8 Posts