TLZone Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What I learned today: Fiberglass resin and Styrofoam don’t mix. I spent an hour molding and shaping this foam block to make a piece for my bikes tail. Slapped some resin on it, came back about an hour later to find nothing left but a hardened chunk of glass that looks like it was just spewed out of a volcano. :doh

·
Registered
57 Posts
Ah spewin'. Styrofoam generally turns into goo (dangerous goo, thats what Napalm is, styrofoam and solvent) when mixed with anythin like that. Least ya know now! What are you makin?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Trying to make up a new tail section for a modified subframe. I will post up pics when all starts to go well.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
You have to coat it...I believe even latex paint will work, been a while. I notice your in So. Cal....just a heads up if you can anyway find the time. Cerritos Community College has a plastics manufacturing program...the only community college based program in California. Even at today's per unit prices you'll come out dollars ahead especially when you start counting in the ancillary equipment that it takes to make a true superior piece. They have reinforcement, resin, peel ply, barrier ply,bleed cloth, vacuum fittings, electronic oven with vacuum, refrigerated pre-preg etc....you need to do a practical project and it's no problem if it's your own. About the only thing you can't use for personal projects is the autoclave...

It's been about ten years since I attended, things may have changed but I would definately check it out if possible. If you're lucky they'll have a big batch of carbon pre-preg that needs to be used before expiration. The people you meet may be as interesting and helpful as the instructors.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good to know! I've actually been considering taking a welding course or something similar. Maybe this will fit the bill.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts