TLZone Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I had the FI light on last week. I had some trouble starting the bike, but finally started and rode to my destination (about 3 miles) with no issue.

This past Saturday I took the bike out, no problem and no light until about twenty minutes in, red light /FI came back on, ride fine to my destination about another 5 miles in traffic with no issues. Got to my buddy’s house, and had trouble starting again after 5 minutes. We rode to the shop ( I didn’t try to pull the code myself after reading the archives here) and it started fine when I tried to show the mechanic.

The shop hasn’t been able to make the FI code come up so they can read it, nor when they allowed the bike to idle and get up to temperature. And it’s been starting fine for them

I don’t want them to just start changing parts, i.e. plugs, power commander (they said it’s an older power commander).

I just bought the bike two weeks ago, immaculate, but now I’m thinking the seller might have sold it bc they couldn’t find the problem.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Put a paper clip in the dealer plug.

The next time a code is thrown while you are riding, you will see it on the dash.

The codes are reset every time the key is turned.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I just read that in the archives but will have to look closer for that plug under my seat. I think I only saw a black plug but it didn’t have six pins.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys... Light hasn't come back on, but I did jump the two pins and it changed on the dash to oo, so I know I did it right... I'm carrying around the paper clip waiting to see if the it comes back on. I ended up changing the plugs and they looked kinda bad, so no idea if that was it, until / if the FI light comes back on.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
You will want to heed the advice from rxf610, because if the code appears, you will still need to insert the paperclip. If you key off to remove the pillion seat, then the code will go away before you can read it. So then, either leave the paperclip installed permanently, or build a switch to activate it remotely, or carry an extra key to remove the rear seat / hump. 👍

1 - 6 of 6 Posts