TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gday blokes, need help , recently bought 98 tl 1000s model only 32000ks on clock and not been flogged, however did sit for 2 + years. Consequently had to drain and clean heaps of crud from fuel tank and clean and treat tank, replaced fuel pump. Still getting the FI light error code C00, when I turn key I hear the fuel pump kick in but get no ignition, absolutely dead, battery good. Can I re-set the error code ? any help appreciated

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
There is no error code. E00 means none.

Check for power to the starter motor and look at something as simple as gunk in the start button control assembly.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Since the bike has been in your possession, you have not heard it run. Correct?

Are you saying the engine does not crank over when you press the start button, or is it cranking, but just not firing the plugs?

If the engine is not cranking over (that is, no response from the start button) check these components and connections.
The clutch switch - This switch provides the ground connection that allows the starter relay to activate.
The side stand switch and the side stand relay. This interlock circuit will prevent the starter from activating if all the components are not working as they should. See page 8-13 in the manual for a diagram that shows which components are involved. Post up if you have questions about it.
The starter relay connector (on the loom side). It is a common weak point on many Suzukis. Closely inspect it inside and out for signs of overheating or corroded terminals.

This will keep you busy for a while. 😊 Let us know what you find please.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Gday blokes, need help , recently bought 98 tl 1000s model only 32000ks on clock and not been flogged, however did sit for 2 + years. Consequently had to drain and clean heaps of crud from fuel tank and clean and treat tank, replaced fuel pump. Still getting the FI light error code C00, when I turn key I hear the fuel pump kick in but get no ignition, absolutely dead, battery good. Can I re-set the error code ? any help appreciated

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had same problem,I bridged across the starter relay under seat and broke fired up,I later traced fault to start button had corrosion

·
Registered
15 Posts
This was also the condition i purchased my 2000 TLR in, would not crank, the issue ended up being a corroded clutch switch. I remember pulling the left side fairing and jumping a screwdriver across the starter relay with the ignition on and it fired right up.

EDIT: i remember that i was able to remove the clutch switch and scrape the contacts with a little screwdriver and got it to work.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Check for power to the starter motor and look at something as simple as gunk in the start button control assembly.
yep will look into those suggestions further if and when we get locked down with this corona virus, Thanks Twen

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Since the bike has been in your possession, you have not heard it run. Correct?

Are you saying the engine does not crank over when you press the start button, or is it cranking, but just not firing the plugs?

If the engine is not cranking over (that is, no response from the start button) check these components and connections.
The clutch switch - This switch provides the ground connection that allows the starter relay to activate.
The side stand switch and the side stand relay. This interlock circuit will prevent the starter from activating if all the components are not working as they should. See page 8-13 in the manual for a diagram that shows which components are involved. Post up if you have questions about it.
The starter relay connector (on the loom side). It is a common weak point on many Suzukis. Closely inspect it inside and out for signs of overheating or corroded terminals.

This will keep you busy for a while. 😊 Let us know what you find please.
correct mate, I still haven't heard bike run,it is not even trying to fire. have tried the clutch and sidestand switches but have not dismantled them and cleaned yet. The more I read and learn from you guys, my gut feel is starter relay fault, appreciate your input mate, We in Western Australia are likely to be in home/quarantine soon, so will have plenty of time to tackle it. Will let you know what I encounter.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
correct mate, I still haven't heard bike run,it is not even trying to fire. have tried the clutch and sidestand switches but have not dismantled them and cleaned yet. The more I read and learn from you guys, my gut feel is starter relay fault, appreciate your input mate, We in Western Australia are likely to be in home/quarantine soon, so will have plenty of time to tackle it. Will let you know what I encounter.
ps, all fuses were fine however there is a fault with the Left indicator not flashing front and rear and when switched on the dash/screen goes completely blank until you release finger ?? not sure this would be interfering with starter ?? wouldnt have thought so, but yes another job to do. The previous owner had to replace a complete indicator (bike brushed furniture truck during house shifting) He may have pinched a wire when re-fitting fairing ??not sure it would bring up the chec error code on my dash ??

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This was also the condition i purchased my 2000 TLR in, would not crank, the issue ended up being a corroded clutch switch. I remember pulling the left side fairing and jumping a screwdriver across the starter relay with the ignition on and it fired right up.

EDIT: i remember that i was able to remove the clutch switch and scrape the contacts with a little screwdriver and got it to work.
thanks mate, will look into it and let you know soon

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had same problem,I bridged across the starter relay under seat and broke fired up,I later traced fault to start button had corrosion
thanks bud will try that, several helpful suggestions, still learning to navigate TLzone but feeling the love haha

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

will do soon mate, thanks for your input, sorry for delay , will let you all know what I find

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just an update and thanks to all who offered their help. Yep dodgy starter relay connections even though they looked clean when I loosened them !?? However my next hurdle is getting fuel, although kicking over it is not wanting to start yet, my gut feel is stale fuel in carby ? bikemate tells me should be ok as it is a fuel injected carby and jets don't block up as common as old style carb, I am thinking of spraying a product from Australia called "start ya bastard" not joking google it before you lambast me, anyway apparently it works best sprayed into air filter intake then temp re-fit cover and try. Just wondering if anyone has a better suggestion ??

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Starting fluid of some sort is a good test. If it starts, then you know there is a problem with the fuel delivery system.

If it has been sitting for a long time, then old fuel can begin to varnish and cause problems. The fuel pump and the injectors can become gummed up and not work.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Starting fluid of some sort is a good test. If it starts, then you know there is a problem with the fuel delivery system.

If it has been sitting for a long time, then old fuel can begin to varnish and cause problems. The fuel pump and the injectors can become gummed up and not work.
d

yeh startya bastard did nothing, I am now convinced carby needs full service , ouch, I am hoping I can remove it myself and take in . Don't want to trailer the whole bike in. Replaced Fuel pump and it now squirts nice clean fuel back through secondary line each time I turn on, so I think I have good delivery, plugs are new, but tank was putrid before I fully cleaned, so I suspect it has gotten into the carby.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
If the starting fluid did not produce any results, that tells you that the spark plugs are not firing. So then, it may have multiple issues.

Concerning the fuel delivery, the fact that it's delivering fuel through the return hose is good. And what you are calling a "carby" is actually a throttle body. They are not the same thing. There are no carburetors on a TL. You don't need to remove the throttle bodies for service. Simply remove the fuel injectors from the throttle bodies and take them somewhere to have them professionally cleaned. If you see no fuel sprayed into the intake manifold, the injectors are likely clogged up from sitting so long and rust from the tank.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If the starting fluid did not produce any results, that tells you that the spark plugs are not firing. So then, it may have multiple issues.

Concerning the fuel delivery, the fact that it's delivering fuel through the return hose is good. And what you are calling a "carby" is actually a throttle body. They are not the same thing. There are no carburetors on a TL. You don't need to remove the throttle bodies for service. Simply remove the fuel injectors from the throttle bodies and take them somewhere to have them professionally cleaned. If you see no fuel sprayed into the intake manifold, the injectors are likely clogged up from sitting so long and rust from the tank.
I sprayed the starting fluid into the air intake but did not help, should I try it in the spark plug chambers or just proceed to fuel injection. I gather they will become visible under tank once air cleaner chamber is removed ?Thanks in advance mate, I am handy enough but novice at this stuff, yeh fuel tank and pump was full of crud, removed it and treated numerous times and then did two rust treatments to remove some surface rust to tank, then replaced fuel pump with new. So it would not be a shock if fuel injection is also blocked.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Apparently, I misunderstood your 1st effort at using the starting fluid. It should be sprayed directly into the throttle body opening, so that it has direct access to the intake manifold.

So then, lift the tank. Remove the air Box cover. Remove the air filter. Then spray the fuel starting fluid directly into the throttle body opening and crank the engine over. Hopefully you will get some results.

But you still may need to have the injectors cleaned from the sound of things.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts