TLZone Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cant get the bike to start - can anybody please help?

The bike refused to start and was indicating F1 on the display, which turned out to be a "c41" fault (Fuel pump or relay problem).
I have tested the fuel pump relay, the one that sits to the left hand side of the ECM, and this is fine. I have removed the fuel pump from its assembly and put a 12v supply across it and it works fine.
With the fuel pump disconnected from the 4-pin connector under the seat, the F1 display disappears. As soon as I reconnect it, the fault returns on the display, even though the pump works fine when connected to a battery.
I have even tried connecting a pump that is in good working order from another bike (ZXR400) and each time the connection is made the F1 display returns.

Other things I have tried are checking connections at connectors, particularly the 4-pin one at the main fuse above the battery - this is following advise from other people who have posted problems with a c41 code on this site.

Sorry to go on a bit, but just wanted to make sure I listed everything that I have tried!

Thanks, Andy

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
Welcome to the site Andy:bigfinger Have you checked the 'Tip Over Switch':O i think this shows the c41 code. Is it a 'R' or a 'S' you got. If it is a R then i think the switch is at the rear of the tank. Do a search on here just to check though:thumbup :bwtiller

·
Registered
188 Posts
code

Hey

I belive that he is correct in assuming that it is the tip over switch fault code.

good luck

Nicholas

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Feeling too lazy to read all the trouble shooting... My bike had that code 2 months ago and i got a new ECU... what a waste of $. The problem ended up being a broken wire in the loom btwn the ECU and relay.... $.02 of soder and i was good to go. Just something to think about. :O

Jesse

·
Registered
909 Posts
I had this happen on last service, they found out it was a fuse blown located at front of bike.

Don't know what happened, they just couldn't start it after a full service.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I had the same code appear at a track day. put in a new fuel pump relay and all has been good with the world since. believe the codes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info guys.
I will try the suggestions tomorrow evening and let you know how I get on!

Regards, Andy

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yahoo!! The TL is alive again!
I tried the Tip-Over switch and everything was fine and also the connections as suggested above and still couldnt locate the problem. I was about to give up and discovered a bit green "gunge" coming out of the large white connector block (left hand side of clocks). I took this off, give it a good clean and that was it! - Fault code disappeared.
It appears as though dodgy connections cause a few problems on these bikes - looking through the forum people have had various failures due to corroded connectors. I will be giving mine a regular spray of WD40 from now on!

Thanks for taking the time out to reply to my original cry for help.

Cheers, Andy

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
Glad you got it sorted:thumbup :bwtiller

1 - 9 of 9 Posts