TLZone Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm putting some fine Stainless mesh in the holes on the lower part of the fairing on the TL . Bought all the stuff just have to get around to doing it . Has anyone on the Zone tried this on their bike? Any pics out there?:O ( Of TLS I mean)

·
Registered
909 Posts
Nope cant say i have, same as you got the mesh but not got round to adding it, also got mesh for the air intakes on front to match, just waiting to get re-spray done then i do it then. Get some pics when you do yours thou :)

·
Registered
926 Posts
Well its not an tillis but heres a REALLY OLD pic of my tiller with the fairing mesh in. It have sence painted them all black.

·
Registered
11,556 Posts
What did you use or how have you secured the mesh to the fairings :O might do that to mine this winter?

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm using a fine stainless wire mesh and glueing it on the inside of the fairing with household goop..Looks good Maynard , I like the the larger mesh on yours better actually .

·
Registered
926 Posts
Thanks pecon. The stuff I used is made for lineing rain gutters I think. Found it in my buddys garage.
I used hot glue to attach mine. Sounds pretty :thatsgay but it's really easy to work with and has held it on just fine for around 2 years now.:O never had a problem.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I think that the finer the mesh, the more you'd have cooling issues cos the finer mesh has more surface area, therefore more restrictive to airflow!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hey Maynard
Do you have a pic of your tiller with the black frame? I am spraying mine a similar blue to yours and would love to see how it will look with the black frame!
On the mesh issue, I used some strong stainless mesh from a security screen. Looks great, but was a nightmare to shape. I would try for something softer like aluminum.

·
Registered
141 Posts
i used the stainless also. with hot glue. i ground down the inside thru the paint to the plastic with a resurfacing pad on a die grinder (sort of like a scotch brite pad kind of disc) and used the heavy duty glue sticks. what i liked about the hot glue is that if the mesh wasn't holding against perfect you can take a soldering iron to it and it melts almost instantly so you can put more pressure on the screen until it sets up again. really helps with mistakes but i wouldn't know about that:O

·
Premium Member
3,387 Posts
Once I got my mesh to fit the way wanted, I used my hot glue gun and have not had any issues with the mesh coming lose at all. Clean the inside of the fairing panels well with some acetone or Goo-Off.

·
Registered
99 Posts
just to let you guys know, i did the same thing for the carbon fiber hood of my car, i had little vents in it and covered them up with mesh and a hot glue gun...they endded up falling off after about 3-4years now and almost into the radiator fan (noticed it before the fans kicked on). I endded up using some 2 part epoxy from the local ace hardware that was rated for some extreme heat, they havent fallen off yet...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts