i have all the manuels and i just thought this would be easier and more fun

i had the forks rebuilt and the tech said he put them at the

factory settings but my other TLR is at the tlzone settings and i like it

please help guys :confused

·
Registered
909 Posts
May help you.

motorcycle issue front preload front rebound damping front comp. damping rear preload rear rebound damping rear comp. damping
TL1000R ('98) Oct 1, 1998 8 lines showing 4 clicks out 8 clicks out 1.25 in. sag stiff fulll soft
note:
TL1000R ('98) Dec 1, 1998 2 lines showing 4 clicks out 8 clicks out 1.25 in. sag stiff 6 clicks out
note:
TL1000R ('00) 6/00 5 lines showing 7 clicks out 10 clicks out 5mm thread showing 5 clicks out 21 clicks out
note:
TL1000R ('00) 10/00 1 line showing 2 clicks out 10 clicks out 17mm from top of spring to top thread 5 clicks out fulll soft
note: set fork tube height to 13mm above top triple clamp, with Dunlop D207 GP Star tires
TL1000S ('97) Jun 1, 1997 4 lines showing 1 turn out 4 clicks out 15mm from top of threads .5 turns out 3.5 turns out
note: raise fork tubes 4mm in clamps
TL1000S ('99) Oct 1, 1999 stiff 1 turn out 2 turns out 20mm from top of threads 2.25 turns out 1.5 turns out
note: raise fork tubes 4mm in clamps

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks and yes it did help but what i should have asked the tech is what he put them at i have two TLR's same tire's i know that no 2 bikes are the same but what i wanted to do is get them so close that I couldn't tell and i think
i have did what i set out to do

thanks
no matter how much it cost

·
Registered
603 Posts
warning, noob guestion to follow...

how do you actually adjust the forks? mine are very bouncy...along with the rear setup. Looks like the shock is all the way out and not much compressed.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
The forks. On top is the rebound adjuster, the little slotted gizmo, turn clockwise for more, counter clockwise for less. Don't jam it either direction, Should be about 12 clicks on a TLR. Also on top is the preload adjuster. It puts load on the spring or shortens it. The idea being a few mm of preload to set the sag. (35 mm with you on it). Clockwise for more, Counterclockwise for less, again don't jam it. Finally the bottom has a slotted screw for compression, i.e. how fast it compresses. More is stiffer, less is spongy.

Rebound is how fast it extends after hitting a bump. Compression is how fast it compresses on the same bump. Try a couple of clicks more compression and rebound and see how it is. If the sag isn't right the damping doesn't do much good.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Big thanks. Ill look at it when i get home. THe front forks feel WAY spongy. Is there a "zero" point?

The slotted gizmo is right on the very top on the threaded blue part (stock setup) correct? Where a valve stem would be for air pressure on an older bike?

Preload adjuster....is that in the same area? bolt to screw/unscrew? (at work so imjust trying to visualize) you guys are awesome :D

This explains why the front forks have felt very spongy and when i let off the gas it dives.

So there should be 35mm of gap on the front forks when im on it?

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Preload adjuster is the blue part, the silver slotted part is rebound.

See how the preload adjuster pushes on the spring? The rebound adjuster pushes the rod inside to hold the needle in the rebound valving and you can damage it. As long as it clicks and isn't real hard to turn you are ok

Rebound rod

And it will all come apart if you force the preload too far, if you feel resistance when turning counterclockwise, stop and you will have no trouble.:coocoo

·
Registered
603 Posts
Very cool. thanks for the info. THats what i thought it was. i thought there were three places i could adjust. Just adjust each to where i feel comfy on the bike. The front as a whole just feels way too spongy and is way to easy to come up. and if i let off the gas a tiny little bit in a corner it starts bouncing. Been wanting to adjust for some time. I love this site :D

So its:

Silver flat headed slot on top adjusts rebound
The blue adjusts preload (which should be about 35mm of space when im on the bike on the bottom of the forks)
and the big silver is compression

correct?

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
(which should be about 35mm of space when im on the bike on the bottom of the forks)

no to set your sag you need to lift the front off the floor so there is no weight on the forks (you will need a hand ) measure between the bottom of the fork leg ( the solid part that the yolks fasten too) to a fixed part of the bottom of the fork leg

then sit on the bike and measure the same places again the difference should ideally be 35mm if its more you need more pre load if its less you need less pre load

stu

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
[QUOTE=lougman; i have two TLR's

Hey Lougman, didnt you have an S and an R at some stage :O ?
I thought you did :dowhat , did you sel the S :O ?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah i did but i traded it for a 99tlr i like the R better although it was a very trick TLS and all the R doesn't wiggle as much but the s was a cool wheelie machine

1 - 11 of 11 Posts