TLZone Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
The Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow Moderator,
15,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody seen this before :O Extra Heavy Weight to the Flywheel.

Great for round town and smooth low down running but I've never seen them before, maybe from a Raptor Flywheel :confused

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
I've not seen that, but I've heard tell that there was an optional heavier flywheel available for a short while for the early '97s which were rumored to have lighter flywheels than later models:O

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
In perusing TL related web sites for 11 years now (off and on, mostly on) I can't say that looks or sounds familiar. Of course the old memory ain't what it used to be either.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I've not seen that, but I've heard tell that there was an optional heavier flywheel available for a short while for the early '97s which were rumored to have lighter flywheels than later models:O
The optional heavier flywheel is probably the new standard one we all have on our bikes right now.....

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Yeah, I suspect that is correct.

I think the Raptor guess is a good one, another possibility would be a Cagiva Navigator - they used a TLS engine in a big V-strom like bike and it seems likely they'd have wanted a bit more flywheel for that application:O

·
Registered
621 Posts
am i being thick?? what is the weight you are refering to?? is it the small square bit sticking out of the side of the wheel?? and is this not common then?? as mine has these

·
Registered
13,114 Posts
its the extra steel mass around the starter clutch.

that 'd make it a lot more polite round town!

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
That's what the 98 flywheel I got from ACTLS's motor looked like. I was doing a lightened flywheel on a exchange basis for Cyclecamper. Set it up in the four jaw took extra time and care to ensure no perceptable indicator runout. Broke out my CBN stash and was extra careful for an OEM or better surface finish. Figured I'd moved a good half kilo or more of weight off, was all proud and patting myself on the back...and when Cyclecamper brought his TLR rotor to exchange...I realized that about all I had done was make stock TLR rotor:laugh.

·
Registered
13,114 Posts
:banghead :lol

·
The Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow Moderator,
15,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's come from Ben Curtis's engine, a 6 Spring late model. The Raptor engines normally have Cagiva cast on the barrels.

ABN, I haven't stripped the flywheel down yet but is than extra ring pressed on or a whole new part as it looks to be just an extra ring ?

If it's pressed on I can just cut/mill through one side to relieve the pressure and press it off, rather than making 1/2Kg of swarf :laugh

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
No such luck...the flywheel I had was solid and started at 5.625" diameter. Unless I cut through a parting line or something...but I'm sure I would have noticed that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts