TLZone Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whilst it does not really affect me, I have noted coments by Sam (Fiche-Man) and Art (Adavis) about the limiting factor in TL power making ability being it's comparatively low rev ceiling set by the standard ECU :O

Whilst trawiling through the bay of E the other evening I came across an ad for these people ..... http://www.vtac.co.uk/services.htm where they perform a modification to the ECU to gain an 11% rev increase :confused

I've sent them an e-mail asking how they do it, and if they can do other ECU's than those listed ....... but it does seem to have possible drawbacks - the loss of EFI self diagnosis being one of the main issues :confused

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
But we have a rev limit for a reason :devious

Piston Speed.

·
Registered
258 Posts
ya can get an extra 500 revs or so if ya remove a wire from the ecu. but i cant remember which one...but it works and everything still works when ya remove it...

·
Registered
157 Posts
i did that with my old S, once. its easy, just take it up to about 120 then drop down about three gears and dump the clutch. voila, 11,500 rpm!! :laugh

sorry, couldnt resist....true story, though! :banghead

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Looks intersting. I've always thought that a TL used for track/race duty could benifit from more rpm. It would shorten sevice intervals no doubt, but could be well worth it, stiffer valve springs may be needed:O At some point the crank cases will be a limiting factor, but I suspect that point is more than 10% above stock.

have fun

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
with lighter pistons & ti rods and hollow-stem stainless valves I don't see why you couldn't raise it some. Even if it's past-peak it would still be useful when our "peak" is more of a plateau.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts