TLZone Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone explain to me the importance of having the 2 exhaust pipes on the TLR connected together? I'm thinking of doing something funky and it would not allow for the pipes to be joined as they would be in completely different locations to each other. Would it mean that finding a good tune is more difficult, or is it something much more sinister?

Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
it's to do with cylinder scavenging. a negative pressure wave is created at the cross-over which draws extra inlet charge through the opposite cylinder when it's timed correctly. the more fuel you can get in, the more power you can make

·
Registered
929 Posts
I think it would sound lumpyer & possibly loader. :devious

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,860 Posts
Joining them would help keep it quieter too.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
it's to do with cylinder scavenging. a negative pressure wave is created at the cross-over which draws extra inlet charge through the opposite cylinder when it's timed correctly. the more fuel you can get in, the more power you can make
:stupid

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I thought it had to do something with scavenging, but then that's my same theory for household garbage bins. How many times have I found bottles of grog with dregs in the bottom just waiting to be consumed.....about 6 times now i guess.

My plan is to go fuggin nuts on the exhaust system. So if i was to slightly increase the diameter of the exhaust @ the headers (not spastic oversize though), I "should" have comparable figures to what I have now with a stock system..yes?

My original thought was it had more to do with environmental issues, but being the coal burning, nuclear emitting enviro terrorist that I am I don't give a rats arse about a tree in 50,000 years time. I want results today.

OK, thanks kids for clearing that up for me......time to warm up the mig again.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I got 10bhp & 8ft/lb out of the last system I built.I like massing with pipes & shit:yes, allready have some ideas for a tiller system. :devious

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
o2w - or you could do that cool ass crossover x-pipe thing the erm other guy here did :laugh that looks fly too ...

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
o2w - or you could do that cool ass crossover x-pipe thing the erm other guy here did :laugh that looks fly too ...
I looked at that idea, it looks nice....but....i wanna go really really funky, something that hasn't been see before on a tiller. Think britten, or at least along those lines... :devious

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
o2w said:
... really really funky, something that hasn't been seen before
Poke the mufflers out the front like a cannon :laugh
I was suggesting to someone else here who was going to fighter his TL :rolleyes to make it a cafe racer instead ... Britten style pipes would be perfect for that ;)

·
Registered
722 Posts
If you went Britten style you could easily have a crossover pipe where they twist around each other. Of course there is some science to the whole thing but I think if the crossover was close to the same distance from the head on both pipes it would have some positive effect. Get a look at a Yoshimura full race system. It has 3 crossovers, one of which is like the stock system in that one is a crossover or shortcut on the same pipe. If you could duplicate the diameter and distance then you would prolly give up the least.

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,860 Posts
I'm not sure how much extra scavaging we get from a crossover. With pulses at 270 & 450 degrees they're no where symmetrical like a 4+ cylinder (I4 or V4) etc even firing interval. :dunno

1 - 14 of 14 Posts