TLZone Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Just got my bike back from the shop wher it got a new motor. And I am trying to install the exhaust. The problem is the front head pipe. I cant get it to stay in. I put the gasket in and tighten up the two bolts on the flange but the pipe slideds right out it I pull it. am I missing something? How is it meant to stay in place?

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
pics? :O

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
It would help to know what kind of exhaust you are installing, but on my Akro system there is a flange on the header that would not fit through the mounting flange that you bolt to the cylinder (meaning the header wouldn't slip though the mounting flange) and then there are springs that hold the header tight (pulling aginst the mounting flange) to the cylinder. Perhaps your just missing the springs?

good luck

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BikePilot said:
It would help to know what kind of exhaust you are installing, but on my Akro system there is a flange on the header that would not fit through the mounting flange that you bolt to the cylinder (meaning the header wouldn't slip though the mounting flange) and then there are springs that hold the header tight (pulling aginst the mounting flange) to the cylinder. Perhaps your just missing the springs?

good luck
Bingo!!!! I am missingthe freaking springs. It is an M4 full system that uses the stock head pipes. I wasnt sure if there were springs or not. There are little tabs welded on to the headpipes with a tiny whole that looks like springs would hook into.:banghead
-I just came from the dealer but I didnt see any springs on the diagram, or in the shop manual. Where could I get some springs to hold the pips in place?

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
A full system that uses stock headpipes:confused

It should re-use the stock rear stub pipe, but totally replace everthing else if its a full system, and yes, there should be springs I think, I know Akro uses springs there:thumbup

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BikePilot said:
A full system that uses stock headpipes:confused

It should re-use the stock rear stub pipe, but totally replace everthing else if its a full system, and yes, there should be springs I think, I know Akro uses springs there:thumbup
Yeah man, thats what I said too. I check out the M4 install in the frequent mods section and it confirmed that the m4 system uses the stock headpipe in front and the short stub pipe in the rear. The m4 is just the cans, polished pipes, and a one piece collector pipe with smooth bends to eliminate the kink in the factory pipe.

- I just got off the phone with the dealer. they have springs for the exhaust that are about 4 inches long. that shold work for me. I wonder why they re not shown in the parts diagram?:confused

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
I'm still :confused (but its been a lousy day) - I'll wait for a pic:)

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
hmm my m4 headers came with its own front pipe stock one is all one piece very odd

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
billy_tlr said:
hmm my m4 headers came with its own front pipe stock one is all one piece very odd
How is your front pipe held in place? springs, or just the gasket and flange with 2 bolts?

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
stock gasket/m4 flange with 2 bolts. the only spring i got on the m4 headers is one at the bottom right under the engine.
not the best pic but its the only one i got of the headers you can see the flange and the spring link :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Maybe M4 released different versions of the exhaust at different times. My exhaust is simular to the one in the frequent mods section. what I still dont understand is how the pipe is held in place with just the gasket and flange. My pipe is just a staight pipe with no flare on the end of anykind. The flange just slips onto the straight pipe. The gasket goes on top of the pipe and into the head. When it is all bolted in place, there is nothing holding the pipe from sliding straght down out of the head.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
hmm this is from there looks to have the flange like mine.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
:stupid

I just got done looking on the frequent mods section, it sure doesn't look like that system uses any of the stock header for the front cylinder, just the rear stub pipe like all the aftermarket systems.....

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
i woulda gone and snapped some pics of mine but im all loaded up ready for the BMF show tomorrow.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
billy_tlr said:
stock gasket/m4 flange with 2 bolts. the only spring i got on the m4 headers is one at the bottom right under the engine.
not the best pic but its the only one i got of the headers you can see the flange and the spring link :)
thanks for the pic. That is exactly what my exhaust looks like.
The flange one my fron head pipe is not welded to the pipe. Its just a loose flange that slided up into place and bolts on. I guess thats why my pipe slide out of the head. There is a tab on my head pipe to mound a spring so I am going to try to get it installed and use a spring to hold it into place so id doesnt come out.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ps... Billy. our bikes are very similar looking. Mine is also painted black with a polished frame. I dont have any white on the tail section or a what "S" on the fairing. Once I get this bike sorted out, I will do a proper introduction to this forum with pics and all.

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
The stock one has a loose flange too. Maybe your pipe is damaged because it should flare out at the end and the flange pushes on the pipe to hold it on IIRC.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts