TLZone Forums banner

Exhaust ceramic coating - Gauging interest

3K views 28 replies 7 participants last post by  Chris 
#1 ·
I will be sending my exhaust pipes to Camcote in Warrington sometime in the new year. I have already spoken to them about the coatings, they offer a satin black or chrome finish.
For my pipes NOT CANS they quoted me roughly £150 + VAT this includes the prep work, and also coating inside and outside the pipes. Turn around is approx 7-10 days. You would be responsible for sending your pipes to them directly.

I want to know how many people would be interested in sending their exhaust pipes to be coated. So I can speak to the contact I have and try and arrange a special price for Zoners if they are done in a specific time frame. Ideally this would be before the end of March.

Obviously the more people, the better the incentive for them to offer a good price. So please, only those who are serious about the possibility need show their interest.

1. bigrigdriver

#8 ·
Pointless even comparing it to prices in the states mate. :coocoo
If you know anywhere cheaper I'm listening :O
I have found alternatives, They are more expensive, but you get more choice of colours.

Not sure about the chrome, I wasn't interested in that when I called for a quote. But I will ask for those of you who'd rather have the shiny option.
IIRC the chrome was more expensive and only coats the outside.

Details, details.. these can be sorted out when I have a list of seriously interested people, and I've had preliminary talks with my contact there.

#13 ·
Hello mate, I'd love to be on the list but I have to get the front header off yet and I've no idea when that will be so unless I can find a spare front header I'll keep an eye on things and let you know. Cheers

#17 ·
I had my standard pipes refinished in ceramic satin black by Camcote back in 2005.

They are easy to deal with and the finish looked great when I got the pipes back.

BUT.......

The finish on the front downpipe didn't even survive the bike being warmed up for the first time after I refitted the exhaust and burnt off.:banghead

I am of the view that it was not the coating that was at fault. The TL pipes, which are single skinned, just run too hot for this particular finish.

The TL has a stainless exhaust which can be left uncoated or polished. If you want it coated and don't want to spend too much, PJ1 matt black exhaust paint works well.

#18 ·
Really... WOW.

What did you do about it?
How come rattle can paint stays on but the Ceramic coat didn't ?
Did you check the finish before putting it on the bike? Was it ok?
Did you speak to Camcote about it? What was their response like?

I'm interested to hear the answers to these questions, and mostly to hear how Camcote responded to your problem.

#21 ·
Was yours coated on the inside as well as the outside?

You say its not suitable for the TLS, but I can't see how it works on some but not others :O
D'Ecosse's bike looks ok, I don't think he's had any problems with it ? maybe he'll let us know if he has. Or anyone else for that matter.

I like how the price has doubled in 5 years too.

I have a fair few questions to ask when I call him on Monday morning.

I won't send it If i'm not happy with their work and also they will need to guarantee their work.

#22 ·
Was yours coated on the inside as well as the outside?
Outside only.

I've always been of the view that the headers being made of stainless steel is part of the problem.

The one thing you should not do to stainless, apparently, is paint it! I'm planning to pull my exhaust off in the next few weeks to get it stripped of the finish. I'm not planning on polishing it, just going for a natural finish.

#23 ·
See that another thing. When I spoke to them, they said they'll do all the prep work (sand blasting, then chemical wash). was this the same for yours?
The way I see it is, if they do the prep work they should know what surfaces their product will work on. Therefore if they prep it, clean it, and coat it, they should fix it if it goes wrong.
I have already stripped mine back to bare metal, I took the stainless coating off already. as it was tarnished and scratched.

Maybe in 5 years they have developed the process some more :O

Thanks for your input its very much appreciated, I will hopefully get some good answers from them on Monday.

#24 ·
See that another thing. When I spoke to them, they said they'll do all the prep work (sand blasting, then chemical wash). was this the same for yours?
They did.

Please be aware that the exhaust does not have a stainless 'coating', it's all stainless steel (try a magnet on it if you have any doubts). When you speak to them on Monday make them aware of this - it could be where I went wrong.

#25 ·
Ok now I'm confused.

I just took a magnet (off the fridge, quite a sturdy round one) to my pipes, the ones I want coated. They are apparently old skool D&D pipes. The only place I can get the magnet to stick, is on the can end of the mid pipes. The rest of the pipes, it does attract the magnet but very gently not enough to hold. So I went to check the standard pipes that are on the bike, tried them and guess what. It won't stick to them either. :confused
Yet it does stick to the fridge, the fire surround, even a can of WD40. :O

What's going on there then ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.