TLZone Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help with my exhaust. Under the bike, just in front of the rear tire the pipes bolt together. There is two bolt flange that should have a circular gasket that fits inside the two pipes. The bolts are hex heads. Are you familiar with the area that I'm talking about?
Well I could feel and hear that there was a slight exhaust leak right at that connection. I tried to remove the bolts to check the gasket and the bolt closest to the rear tire just snapped right off. The other one came out with no problem and what a suprise THERE IS NO GASKET INSTALLED.
Anyways, now there is a little more then 1/2 in. of bolt thread still in there and I haven't the slightest idea of how to get it out!! Is there a special tool that can reverse it out? Its either cross-threaded or warped which is why it didn't come out in the first place.
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
If there is enough stud left you could try the 2 nut way. Put 2 nuts on and tighten them onto each other, then using a spanner try to turn the nut nearest to the engine and see if this will unsrew it out. Also you could get a stud extractor but these can be vary brittle and also you could have trouble drilling the stud. Heat in both cases will help also penitrating fluid. Becarefull if you use a flame touch, a heat gun may be safer. Good luck.

·
Moderator,
5,038 Posts
A picture would help, so we can see what you are facing.
Is there a head on the bolt still, if not can you remove the downpipe for oyu to gain earier access.
There are many methods to remove the sheared bolt, need more info first though.
Look up easy outs on google, they will help you wind the thing straight out, but they are not that easy to use, especially if you are new to them, secondly a carbide drill could drill out the core of the bolt, then you could chase a tap down to remove the remaining bolt.
You could use a high speed "Dremmel" with a grinding wheel attachment

That would allow you to make a screwdriver slot :thumbup

Need anymore ideas, let us know

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
lots of release agent applied 2-3 times a day over a couple of days should help.....be patient....or drill the old one out and tap a new thread and use a larger screw/bolt.or put a nut on the end of the bolt.you may have to drill the hole larger in the other piece though....hope that made sense.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can take a picture later today and post it. I'm at work now.
Yes the head of the bolt snapped off
I was able to remove the muffler and downpipe from that side
So what i'm left with is the pipe flange that has the nut built into is with about 1/2 in of thread sticking out of it.
I might be able to try getting the nuts on it, I think there is enough room. Or getting a pair of vice grips on it and seeing if I can get it to turn that way.
I guess I could also just cut off whats sticking out and then try to drill down the middle of it. I just don't want to damage the original threads so that I can reuse that same hole to bolt it all back together.
I'll post a picture later this afternoon.

·
Moderator,
5,038 Posts
You could take a hack saw blade and saw a slot in the top of the head, chances are it will screw right out as the tightness would have come from the head of the screw, now thats gone it should come out no probs, vice grips could be useful if oyu can get them in there :thumbup

Don't cut off the top, it is your best chance of removing it.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Orange01TLR said:
I just don't want to damage the original threads so that I can reuse that same hole to bolt it all back together.
I'll post a picture later this afternoon.

use a longer bolt if the treads get damaged then put a nut on the back...it you damage the origional threads..

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh I did that already in my first bike. I had an 89 Suzuki GS500E. I got a Vance & Hines full exhaust system and when removing the factory hardware one of the stud snapped off in the head. I just removed the head and had a shop take it out for me. I have NO patience for that kind of stuff!!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok after reviewing the situation again. I can see that I can't fit two nuts onto whats left and try to get it off that way. So I tried the vice grips, but the thing wouldn't budge at all. The threads are just about gone on the thing now too, so I'm stumped again.
I attached a quick picture that I took with my cell phone, so not the best quality.

What do I do now?

Attachments

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok so I tried the heat and the vice grips again but that damn thing would not move at all. So I took my saws-all and cut the part of the bolt off that was sticking out. Then I took a few drill bits and drilled out the old bolt. Pain In The Ass!!!
Well the threads are all gone so i'll just get a longer bolt and nut, slide it all the way through and put the nut on the back. Should work out fine. Now I just need to wait for the exhaust gasket to come in the mail since they must have FORGOTTEN to install it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm not sure about the TLR, but I had the same thing happen to my old VFR. They had actually welded a bolt into the flange. I wound up removing the header, grinding the weld, and welding a new bolt in place.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I had the same problem with my bike. I took a cut-off wheel and cut the nut off the flange and went to Lowe's and bought "GRADE 8" nuts and bolts to replace the broken bolt.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts