TLZone Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to this watercooled thing, been riding aircooled bikes since 82'. I remember Miguel Duhamel in the early 90's, riding I think it was the Banco Yamaha YZR500, getting pitched to the tarmac when a coolant hose blew and soaked the rear slick. After a viscious highside of course. It was either him or Freddie Spencer.

I had a oil cooler line melt on the exhaust pipe after passing a van. The whole road was engulfed in thick cloud of black smoke. Luckily it didn't happen earlier as I was blasting with buddy on near triple digit sweepers going over Blewitt Pass in Washington.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
If you use quality parts, inspect them and/or replace them at the proper intervals, it should never happen. One important parts with a potential failing issue, use Suzuki parts or better, and ride in peace! :thumbup

·
Registered
4,047 Posts
V-twins vibrate... alot. Check your fasteners and like Ghost said... use quality parts. :thumbup I have not had one let go... i keep CLOSE eye on my hoses.. not only for my own safety but for track days... Tech inspection is pass or fail.. no inbetween. :cheers

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
If you're serious, get the Samco Silocone hose kit for TLS or TLR.

Ride leader on an ST1000 (believe it or not) blew a water hose a few years back. Not a big problem, just a pain in the ass delay. That's the only time I ever saw it happen.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Ever had a look at the stock cooler hoses? They're really thick and robust. I would guess something else blows up before they let go. That's except it has been crashed before and the hose took some serious damage.

Greetings
Rufer

·
Premium Member
3,387 Posts
I had an oil cooler line burst on me once while I was riding my Yamaha XS 750 Triple I hated that bike). I was on the freeway and WHAM! Burning hot oil all over my pants on the way to work. I managed to coast over to the side of the highway, and after I stopped dancing from the hot oil,:laugh a nice guy on a Gold Wing stopped and gave me a ride back home. Now I check both the water and oil lines often. No problems with the TLS & fluid lines.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
I think you'd have to have a horribly poorly maintained bike for this to be an issue. Well over 100k miles on the street on liquid cooled bikes and I've never had anything burst. Between my wife and I probably 2 or three times that in cages with similar cooling systems and no problems there either. Also 18 years of hard off road riding, virtually all on liqued cooled bikes and only one failure in that time and that was because stick or rock (can't remember now) poked a hole in the rad during a crash. A bit of Quick Steel and water from my cambleback and I was back in business.

I have had the water pump seal go out on a number of bikes, but its almost always a gradual thing and won't spew enough coolant to cause a crash. Usually its just a few drops and very slowly gets worse with time (on the TL anyway). On other bikes with a single seal it can go more quickly/less likely to be noticed 'cause it'll leak into the crankcase, but on the TL it'll just dribble out that little hole on the front right side of the motor.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, it's nice to know it rarely happens. I was just curious. I had a coolant hose blow on my Vanagon, the hose was only 3'' long and pain to get to out on the road.

Do the overflow tank on the side ever get used in hot weather?

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Never had a coolant hose blow, but have had a rear tire blow out at 80MPH.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts