TLZone Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
SQDBIKE Admin,
5,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I need feedback for my new product development course. We have to come up with a product, which we will later file for a provisional patent (given out like candy) on. My group, after hating all our original ideas, came up with a device that would help tie down the rear end of a motorcycle (think track bikes or the like, that don't have the usual tie-down spots) in a similar fashion as a Canyon Dancer.

So far our basic idea was to have some sort of reinforced pad that would go on the bike seat, with arms and eyelets that a tie-down could hook onto. This would distribute the weight across the seat, and allow the rear shock to be compressed to help secure the bike in place. The arms would ensure that the straps don't rube the fairings, swingarm, etc. This would be a method that would be practically good for folks with a truck who don't want to install a pitbull wheel axel stand into their bed, or for folks who rent trailers for their bike hauling.

So what do I need from you guys? Well, we have to do market research on what people think of the idea, ways to improve it, etc. etc. etc.

So what do you think? Ideas? Concerns? Better ways of achieving this goal?

For some god forsaken reason if this idea ever makes money, I'll pump it all back into the site for as many raffle prizes we can get (there's an incentive).

Talk amongst yourselves :)

-:banana

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
Sounds like a good idea :thumbup

But ... have you looked at the bottom of a seat and it's general construction? :dowhat a couple of rubber spacers, plastic knobs etc ... not something I'd be wanting to rely on to hold down a whole bike rocking around on the back of a trailer with ...

·
SQDBIKE Admin,
5,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my thought was that the seat as a whole takes a 200lbs load no problem, distribute the weight properly and it should be able to handle about the same amount of force being applied to it. :O

its not the most elegant solution, which is why i was hoping for feedback :)

-:banana

·
Registered
13,114 Posts
yep might work.......

how about a velcro strap to hold it in place while you get everything tied down. something like a girth strap on a horse saddle.

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
200lbs up and down, not a shear force as the bike tries to move sideways under the the strap. How much force will it take to compress the rear shock enough so that the bike doesn't jump around?
What about some trickery with geometry that tightens one side against the other as it moves around? :D no I'm not good at this stuff :laugh

·
Registered
13,114 Posts
I prefer to tie the rear wheel down and let the bike ride on its own suspension. perhaps a similar device to attach to the top of the wheel.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Great project, but for my 2 pence worth, I tend to secure the front end by compressing the suspension using the bars as a tie off point, and use a simple strap through the reart wheel to stop it sliding sideways... (but all of my experience of carting bikes around is MX)

but for the feed back you requested, as long as the item on the bike you are securing to is strong enough to withstand the range of forces applied, it will be ok, however if the product is being marketed as a generic (fits all) application, then consideration should be given to some of the more 'fragile' race seat set ups.

sorry nothing new here, just endorsing that which others have pointed out.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
I always used one tie down around each side of the swingarm and back again...

I don't see anything breaking by squishing the seat down though. Maybe a rubber ass? :laugh Only other option may be for hollow swingarm pivot bikes?

·
Registered
6,760 Posts
Can it cope with the sideway forces?
A hard turn and some bumps, what happens then?

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Your best option, IMHO, is the rear pegs, then the wheel, then the swingarm. With the seat, you have to clear all the plastic, that could lead to a bulky package. The use of a sort of pouch around the rear tire, similar to a Tyr Sox warmer cover, you could easily make it, wrap the wheel, and tie it down. The thing you don't need to do is tie down the suspension, as that requires too much complexity.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
I prefer to tie the rear wheel down and let the bike ride on its own suspension. perhaps a similar device to attach to the top of the wheel.
I was thinking this last night - some webbing like they use to strap down cages by their tires on U-haul trailers, but designed for a rear motorcycle tire would be pretty sweet! Especially if it had tightening devices on both sides:)

·
Registered
6,760 Posts
I was thinking this last night - some webbing like they use to strap down cages by their tires on U-haul trailers, but designed for a rear motorcycle tire would be pretty sweet! Especially if it had tightening devices on both sides:)
Would be a PITA if you had a hugger though.

·
Premium Member
8,251 Posts
Kami raises some valid points. It will take far more than 200 lbs to fully compress the rear shock, and that's not even consideering the horizontal loads that will occur. If the shock is not fully compressed it will be able to compress while being trailered and when it extends again you will get impact loading when the seat strikes the tie down. Impact type loading can result in loads significantly forces. If you jump into the air and land on a scale you will see that the force far exceeds your weight. I really think you could wind up damaging the seat, at very least the foam is going to take a beating. I've eyeballed the rear tire a few times with the thought towards making exactly what Josh suggested and that might be a good way to go.

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
Don't forget to take the dedicated track/race bikes into consideration. Those foam pads wouldn't stand up to any kind of abuse like that I don't think.

Also, fully compress the rear shock? I don't like that idea just as I don't like the idea of fully compressing the front forks while traveling either. Good way to blow seals. I use a combination of D-rings, straps and either canyon dancers for street bikes or MX ties for the dirt bike. It's all pulled just snug and everything is connected so it CAN'T come apart. This lets the bike use it's suspension over bumps as it does naturally. I then push the front wheel up against a corner of the truck and use a tie down from the rear foot peg to keep it from rolling backwards.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
For an MX bike bolt an ATK bikeshoe to something, clamp the front wheel in it and be done:pirate

btw I think the rear tire webbing could also be produced much more cheaply than the seat-harness thing.

·
The Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow Moderator,
15,420 Posts
Like others have said, you need to ensure the bike can't fall over by sliding under the pad, would need some way of holding the pad in place.

The bike will still roll back and forth which needs addressing

Also the wheels will need securing where they touch the bed so they can't slide out and drop the bike on it's side.

What about lightweight race seat/subframe units ?

Personally I roll the bike up to something like the bulkhead or trough in a bike trailor and one strap either side of the bars (easy for renthals or a aftermarket strap for clip-ons) and then one strap either side of the frame through the frame or rear subframe, 4 straps in total.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Agree with a lot of comments :yes And don't forget the TL seat is quite flat, so a solution for a TL might not work on more curvy seat pads.

You might want to consider to use the paddock stand bobbins on the swinger. Usually they are easy to get by and they are clean. Or use the axles to tie the bike down.

I think a lot of guys did a lot of thinking and it'll be very hard to find a solution that's not working specific, but still be interesting to develop, test and sell. Did you consider the opposite? Something not so small/easy that can be adjusted to any bike and will allow for 1 man use, putting the bike in solid in a very short amount of time? :O

·
Registered
13,114 Posts
Its all abit too bike specific and all too hard, like reinventing the wheel. many systems out there already.
how about improving the existing system. I have a beaut set of tie downs and some webbing loops to pass round forks etc for the tie downs to hook to.

What would be really nice is some ''Sheepskin tie down socks" . A sheepsking sock to go over my tie down. maybe with velcro to make wrapping it easier. Just put it where I'm worried about wearing on the strap.

No engineering, no responsiblity for mechanical failure, and its a value add product , you are not competing in an existing market just jumping onboard.

So punter 1 goes to bike shop, buys tie down and loops. salesman says hey you need some of these too. SOLD.

In fact might make a set for myself sometime before the next roadtrip.

knock a set up , post pics and try a group buy. I'll have a set if price is ok.

could be your whole project in a nutshell.

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
Lawyers doing engineering work? Scary! :eek

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.