TLZone Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how much engine vibration there should be above 7,000 rpm?
I cruise around for the most part under 6,000 rpm, but I do notice in 1st and 2nd gear if i wind them out to anything over 7 grand, there is substantial engine vibration. I can feel it in the frame, seat, and grips.
Is this normal or is there something that i should be looking into??

I've seen some member videos of guys riding around and their tach is visible and steadily running around 9 - 10 grand. I really can't see myself riding in that range with this much vibration.

What are your thoughts?

Patrick

·
Scooter hottie chauffeur
4,663 Posts
ummm, it's a V twin... it's supposed to vibrate...

seriously, there is a buzzy spot in the 7 to 8K range... blast through that and it's smooth as silk up near the limiter, even more smooth when it's pulling hard in 3 or 4th and the dotted yellow line is starting to look solid

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
:devious If I'm hitting 7-8K on the tach, I'm just passin' through.

I usually hold it around 4-4.5K when "cruising" other than that, the TL needs it's nuts rev'd off to be "happy". REALLY dangerous to the license however.

P

·
0 Posts
:confused
Never really noticed it. Though, at full throttle close to the redline in 6th gear, then it vibrates enough to make the speedo a bit blurry....
Not that I usualy do this... :laugh

I guess anything the TL throws at me is still soft comapred to the XR, anyway.

But as mentioned, try go over 7-8k rpm.
And, you know ,the R engine wakes up at about 6k and keeps pulling hard to revlimiter.
I dunno about everyelses engines, but mine feels a bit weak below 6k.
You need to rev it up to feel the TRUE POWER of the da.. errr I mean the TLR. :)

:banana

·
Registered
627 Posts
My TL was so bad that after 100km my hands would have pins&needles! :crazy
When I would shut the throttle (1500rpm) the ride was as smooth as a baby’s bottom.
So it was defiantly an engine problem, I say "was" because the trannie blew up not long after and I'm putting in a donor engine this winter.

In the mean time I'm riding a KTM duke II which are know for there bad engine vibrations (at least that's what everybody says) but the KTM is way smoother then my old TL engine. Can't wait to try my TL with its new 1998 engine.

Don't think that any of this will help but oh well. :confused

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
:scared If the TL was vibrating more than the LC4 either that's the worlds smoothest LC4 or there was something majorly wrong with thte TL I think. I'll admit that the TL is buzzier than I like, esp in the clip-ons, but its not so bad as an LC4 in my exprence (which isn't a lot with LC4's).

·
Registered
627 Posts
BikePilot said:
:scared If the TL was vibrating more than the LC4 either that's the worlds smoothest LC4 or there was something majorly wrong with thte TL I think. I'll admit that the TL is buzzier than I like, esp in the clip-ons, but its not so bad as an LC4 in my exprence (which isn't a lot with LC4's).
Ya but it wasn't always like that and now the engine is RIP

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After like an hour of riding, my hands (especially the throttle hand) are numb and definitely have pins and needles. Does that mean that there IS too much vibration?
If not, is there something that I can do or get to try to reduce some of vibration for my hands??

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
i get a numb thrittle hand too. my motor feels the same as usual. 90degree v twins do have a thob about them. but it's all good.

P

·
0 Posts
:confused

Does the S vibrate a lot more than the R??
Or is it just me beeing so used to thumpers that I dont think the TLR vibrate enough to speak about it? :O

Hmm, My hand don't even get numb after a few hours with the XR. I guess I would if I rode highway for a few hours, but then I wouldnt notice as there would be a lot bigger thing that would be numb... :lol

Or, is it that you grip the handles to hard?? It's not really needed, you know. The stearing is done by pushing the handles, not pulling them, so you dont need to grip it very hard. :)
Treat it like a delicate woman. Im speaking of the R, of course, not the wild little-sister... :laugh

A PERFECT way to practice this is to ride some MotoX. :)
Grip the handle and kill your underarms, relax and can keep going. :)

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Too strong on the grip? Too much weight on the bars?

I'm with all those that say when they see 7-8k, they're just passing through. If I'm getting up to speed then I see that, but even cruising on the highway at 80+ when i get to the speed I want I shift till I'm around 5k. I've had the buziness on the hands things before and turned out I was just putting a death grip on the throttle hand or lazy and leaning on the bars.

C

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Check the tank mounts? YOu should have a rubber pad/bracket at the rear both sides? Also the rubber mounts up front, if misisng you might have direct metal to metal contact? that can make a racket/vibes at certain revs.

Ditto if an ohlins, the tank has to be ground away for clearance, often not done right again, causing metal to metal.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I notice sometimes that I do have a firm grip on the throttle. But i'm not really sure how to get the weight off my hands while riding. I sit right up against the tank so that i'm as striaght up as I can be. But its still such a leaning riding position that the majority of my body weight is going to be coming down on my hands/grips no matter what.
I will check that tank for the rubber bumper pieces, because I'm almost positive that they aren't there. I've had the tank up alot lately working on a few things and I don't recall seeing them.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I sometimes ride in the nut/tank config, but lately I slide my arse back, squeeze my knees together and use my stomach/back muscles to hold myself up.

Another thing I do is, sometimes I travel with my tankbag instead of backpack. It's great cause you can lean completely foward and support your weight on your stomach and chest and no need to put a lot of pressure on the bars.

The last thing, you can also look for the foamy grips that'll take some of the vibes out if it's still too much.

Hopefully you'll get it sorted out. Yeah it's a V-twin and should vibrate, but I only had this problem once and it was when I was still getting used to the bike, so death grip was the only thing I thought would keep her from ripping my arms out of the sockets.

Oh, once you start getting the weight off your grips and into the seat of your pants, she'll start wheelie(ing) a lot easier. Sometimes unexpected. But that's part of the fun of the TL. :)

C

·
Registered
18 Posts
My TLR vibrated, the lower radiator mount what goes to engine near to the oilfilter was lose and it vibrates as hell.
Do not know does TLS have same mounts!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts