TLZone Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:O Hi to all out their hope you all have a good new year,(back to business) is it possible to use the S engine in a R rolling chasssis , i now its a cable clutch so that should not present a problem, i have a serc cooler with aero quip fitting which i would like to mount up the front of the fairing (around headlight area) not fussed as want headlights similar to endurance racer.
I have M4 race downpipes with Yosh cans would the header pipes fit allso on the injector side i have none would it be possible to use keihin flat slides if not would the S injector system marry up with the R wireing loom or would it be better to use the S injectors.

If you think i have missed anything please feel to comment

·
Registered
12,182 Posts
i know about r engines in s frames but not the other way round all the montin ponits are the same so there is no probs in mountin it but ur injector and throttle body question is a good one dude. On the m4 pipes if they are for a r engine/ frame they will fit but if they are 4 an s frame it wont cuz the swingarms are different on the r.

·
TLOTM Sept. '08
1,629 Posts
R Headers will fit the 'S' engine - only issue is if using the original 'S' oil cooler as the R will interfere.
You do need to configure the restrictor plug in the oil filter gallery to match whichever cooler configuration you are using.
If using external air cooler fitted to the original 'S' ports, then it should be fine with the 'S' engine as-is.
You can use the 'R' water to air heat exchanger instead, but you need to remove the restrictor and also configure the water plumbing (Use the 'R' pump cover in this case is probably easiest and will work with the 'R' radiator system); then just plug the original cooling line fittings.
Simplest way to integrate the fuel side is to use the same TB's and injectors as the original bike configuration to match the ECM
i.e. if TLR then use the TLR TB's and injectors.
You can go with whichever clutch control you ultimately prefer - if using the TLR's Hydraulic system, then swap the clutch actuator rod for the TLR one.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for youre invaluable comments, on the oil cooler side i want to fit a serc oil cooler as i can then use the stainless braided hose and anodised JIC fitting s (which i have got ) my concern on that is if i fit the cooler under the speedo behind headlight (changeing the lights to smaller lights) will their be a problem of the oil draining down from the cooler and causeing oil starvation problem on start up. The exhaust is for the R . Has any one had dealings with the flat slide carbs, thanks again for youre valid comments, cheers all the best ,H.

·
TLOTM Sept. '08
1,629 Posts
Why would you want to go with carbs?
You will have much higher degree of control of the fuelling with FI system

·
Registered
8,895 Posts
Has any one had dealings with the flat slide carbs
You would also need to fit TLR manifolds if going that route as the throttle body included angle is different between the S and R.

I first started tuning FCR's when they came out in the 1990's including custom installations on Ducati's.
The 41mm would go well on a TL but the cost would offset things,it would be cheaper to buy used throttle bodies and and a set of manifolds.

The main problem would be the amount of work to mount them at the correct angle.
I seem to remember the first set i fitted cost NZ$1800 by the time i had finished,back then there was next to no knowledge available starting at fitting to jetting and cables,all had to be custom made.
It would be a little easier now but the carbs themselves are still expensive even used (and compared to a $100 set of TB's and wiring loom if needed also.)

Is the standard TL FI better than a FCR Keihin,i think overall,no.
I would have no problem saying the atomisation is worlds apart,especially as most TL owners would not even give a thought to injector maintenance even though they are up to 12 years old in some cases.
How many do the same with their FI vehicles ?.

At the end of the day using the stock TL fuel system will be cheaper and a lot easier being a simple bolt up...imho

I can not remember if bikes that used high mounted oil coolers used check valves or not. :O

Post some pictures of what you have maybe...

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,857 Posts
What were you going to do for ignition? If you were going to use the TLR ECU to control the spark then you might as well use it for fueling too.

Grab a set of TLR throttle bodies, TLR inlet manifolds and a wiring harness.

(The angle of the throttle bodies is different between the TLS and TLR so the manifolds are different too. Also the TLR TB's have two injectors percylinder, the TLS one, so you'll need the TLR ECU for the TLR TB's (or a TLS ECU for TLS TB's but the TLS TB's might not fit in the TLR frame properly? No chance of an airbox with TLS in TLR either :dunno))

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks again for all the valid information that you have all supplied to me it has definetly been educational at least it gives me a different angle to work with. cheers, H.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts