TLZone Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are some of you with advanced engine experience so please help me out...

-My TLR has 11K miles
-TPS adjusted and TB synced
-I never redline and I almost always ride under 5Krpms (but I load the engine because I like the sound
-Valves checked for clearance front and back = ok
-No FI codes
-She runs very strong!!!
-Well maintained

When my bike heats up it sounds like there are marbles in the front cylinder (there aren't I looked). Not real noticeable when loading the engine but 0-medium torque I hear it (even over the slash cuts!) It is not normal and seems to get a little worse every time I'm out.

When I checked the valve clearance I noticed a click sound while I was turning the engine to TDC -is this normal? The front valve cover was off when I heard it.

Possibilities:
Exhaust leak -replace ex gaskets
TB intake leak -look for leaks and fix
Broken valve spring -take off valve cover and inpect carefully
Low end bearing is bad -light bike on fire!

How long could I run with a broken valve spring?

I revved the F* out of it to see if something would break but she held up :O

Please give me possibilities and suggestions. I only want to open her up once.

Thanks

-Chuck

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Does it matter if the bike is in neutral or in gear? Clutch in or out? Does it do it when stopped, or only when riding?

I honestly don't have a good idea as to what it is, but you can pretty much rule out an intake leak as the bike would run like crap and probably not make much noise. Broken valve spring seems really unlikely - I've never heard of one breaking on a TL and I'd think it wouldn't run quite right. Low end bearings are unlikely but possible. Exhaust leak is probably very likely, they can make all sorts of weird, bearing like noises. More than one lower end has been torn apart due to a mis-diagnosed exhaust leak.

the click ya heard when checking clearances was probably related to the decomp mechanism, but I'm not totally sure.

Might be worth checking for a loose timing chain - perhaps an adjuster craped out or something:O

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
chucks_net said:
I revved the F* out of it to see if something would break but she held up :O
:lol that's just a great line :laugh

·
Moderator,
8,243 Posts
"Rattling" could be knocking or more properly pre-ignition. Too low on the fuel octane, a hotter plug or a buildup of carbon in the cylinder(s) (ie. I usually ride around at under 5000 rpm) could cause it.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
You should run premium in a TLR. Also when you lug the engine, i.e. load it at too low of an RPM it will clatter and shudder. You plugs should be CR9EK and I think you should be running 91 octane or higher fuel in a TLR. Also if you haven't got a PCII properly mapped your "slash cuts" could be making you lean as heck and causing some loss of low end oomph resulting in the clattering also.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies, it really bothers me when shes not sounding right.

Pilot -don't matter, it always makes the noise once it is hot. Timing tensioners are new as of last year because of an intake leak. The intake leak sounded like timing chain slap.

Tucker -thats the test man, when your bike sounds like its gonna die and you can't find the issue, just give it a revv and KAPOW!!

1Crock -man not so sure, I just did the plugs. She runs great.

If this were any other bike I would have it in pieces but the TL has such weird issues.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
hmm, probably not knocking/pre-ignition then as that wouldn't be likely to happen except under a load. Otherwise I'm not much help:O

best of luck

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hey Doug, it started before the slash cuts but after I added the PCIII -about a month later. I tried changing maps but no change in noise.

It is seriously loud -you can hear it over the exhaust and it sounds like a piece of crap. I would be embarrassed to let someone take it for a ride.

I'm thinking decomp or scissor noise. Isn't there a common low end bearing problem or was that after the tranny?... An output bearing, can't be that cause it happens in Neutral.

F*ing bike sounds worse than a ducati :laugh

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
it could be big ends. (but i hope not) from lots of hand fulls at low rpm. or as others have said it counld be detonation......saying that. after i rebuilt my motor i thought it was pinking(detonation) but turned out to be me being paranoid:coocoo

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I ordered an exhaust gasket and I'm going to pull the PCIII off to see if that makes a difference

I noticed it is pretty noisey on the decel -which kind of verifies that it is a top type issue rather than a bottom type issue.

I looked throught the manual to see if anything might jump out at me. Was kind of thinking my decomp might be messed up but there is nothing on auto-decomp operation in the manual...

·
Registered
258 Posts
Just a word on pinging or detonation, (detonation happens the same way as pinging but much worse). I'm no eggspert, but i believe for most cases, that it is more prone to occcur when the combustion pressuses are highest, that is, at or near full throttle and also at or near peak torque (highest v.e.). so i doubt that is your problem chucks if it only happens at lighter load.:) It can be caused by alot of factors, but if there's enough carbon buildup in your combustion chamber it can create a 'hotspot' and diesel away even at lighter loads... i'm sure most of you know this stuff already, but just in case..:)

You'll wanna hope it isnt your bottom end. I've ust had a big end bearing go kaput on a 19,000mile motor, But if you've ever heard rod knock before, you'll recognise it pretty quickly, it makes that "OH **** TURN IT OFF NOW OR I'LL SPEW!" kind of sound. Have you dumped the oil to look for any metallic debris?

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have not checked the oil. If there is metal in the oil then the engine will fail. I have put a couple hundred miles on it since the noise started so if there is metal then a total rebuild is in order anyway. But I have heard low end knocks before and this doesn't sound like low end bearings. If it is I will be shopping for a new engine while rebuild mine.

Could be detonation but it is misleading because it even happens on the decel and in neutral. I think it is really possible since the noise seemed to have happened after I added the PCIII (which has tie-ins for ignition mapping). I will get to work and try to see if it is detonation when my exhaust gasket comes in.

It is definately a top end noise -vavle or cam. 11K easy miles it should be something stupid.

Eventually i will be deaf from the slash cuts and my noise worries will be over :laugh

·
Registered
790 Posts
After I replaced my rear spigot exhaust gasket I got super paranoid about engine noises. Now I could hear every little tick at idle. Bike runs perfect at all rpms and throttle positions, clean oil, no noise when under load. I was even tempted to post up a thread asking what a TL engine is supposed to sound like at idle. Noisy yeah, but what kind of sound and from where, maybe even a sound file, eh? (engine sound, not exhaust) My TLR is the only one I've been around, hence the problem.

I decided to stop being paranoid about it, but I think you really need to see your oil.

Noticed it happened after you added the pcIII? You've ran without it since, right? Any difference? If there's a change in sound or performance for the worse, the first thing I would think of is the latest thing that I changed.

I recently added a pcII and I've been playing with the maps. Seems that when I've got things too rich in the low rpms up to 3k or so at 0% to 5% TP, idle gets kinda crappy when the engine has been running for awhile, maybe misfiring. It sounded like crap at low rpms, didn't stumble or hesitate however. I leaned most of the low range back to stock levels with the exception of about 3500-4000 because of that typical bad spot there, and things have quieted down. It's been a lot of trial and error, but I really need to get to a dyno.
My suggestions: check yer oil, run it without pcIII, if that fixes it then schedule a dyno day.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Aw man, sorry to hear. Damn, now I'm gonna get paranoid again about my engine noises. :banghead

·
Premium Member
4,013 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts