TLZone Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm new to the site and just back to twins after a few years on 4's

But the new bike has a problem especially in 3rd it starts juddering when accelerating - feels like it's running out of fuel, but then select 4th etc and runs fine(ish). It is mooth when holding the same revs but as soon as I twist the throttle it's back to juddering

It's a 1997 TLS - I checked and no TRE as I understand they're not suitable for this model (why?) don't know what else it could be, nor where to start looking.:O :confused

Has anyone had this problem or know what it could be? As at the moment I'm kinda regretting changing back to twins even though I know I had so much fun on them before

S

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
What rpm's? Does it accelerate well? Feel like its dropping a cylinder?

Most the time running problems are due to TB sync, TPS setting or poor spark (usually leads or plugs).

·
Registered
487 Posts
Well, let's see it could be because its an S:laugh Just kidding braugh welcome to the zone:bigfinger

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
+1 on the TPS adjust and TB sync. If it is only when you give it throttle I will bet you need a TPS adjust -ECU goes a little nuts

If it idles fine then its probably not the TB sync or a vacuum leak.

+1 also on the wire corrosion. After you adjust the TPS you should check wiggle all electrical connections to see if it changes idle or kills the engine.

Edit: almost forgot, welcome -you got yourself a nice bike. Wait till you get her right, it will be soooo nice. :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What rpm's? Does it accelerate well? Feel like its dropping a cylinder?

Most the time running problems are due to TB sync, TPS setting or poor spark (usually leads or plugs).
it's doing it in 3rd from about 2500 revs, acceleration is awful as bouncing the bike, doesn't feel like a cylinder dropping like fuel problems.

How hard is it to do the TPS settings as I have a limited workshop factilities/ tools? As I'll do it when I change the plugs and leads

Many thanks

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
2500 rpms! I belive what you are experenceing is just lugging the engine, an engine needs a certain amount of rpm's to run smoothly with a given load, the higher the load, the higher the rpm's required. Try leaving it in 2nd a bit longer, let the motor spin up. You should be able to plunk along at 2500rpm sorta smoothly but if you try to accelerate very hard from such a low rpm (i.e. put a lot of load on it) its going to shudder/jerk quite badly.

Is it smooth in 3rd from say 4k rpm on up?

good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
2500 rpms! I belive what you are experenceing is just lugging the engine, an engine needs a certain amount of rpm's to run smoothly with a given load, the higher the load, the higher the rpm's required. Try leaving it in 2nd a bit longer, let the motor spin up. You should be able to plunk along at 2500rpm sorta smoothly but if you try to accelerate very hard from such a low rpm (i.e. put a lot of load on it) its going to shudder/jerk quite badly.

Is it smooth in 3rd from say 4k rpm on up?

good luck
It remains the same all the way through until it's unbearable / dangerous and I've tried changing from the whole rev range in 2nd and still the same.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
humm, not just from lugging the motor then. Do I understand correcty that it does not vibrate/shudder or do anything weird in the other gears? Its an odd problem for sure. Might be worth getting one of the UK TLZoners to take it for a spin or at least give it a look over. Could be that the probem would be obvious to someone accostomed to TL's:O

good luck

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Oh, setting the TPS is really easy, two safty-torx screws to loosen it, then you just rotate it a bit (mounting holes are slotted) on the throttle body till the little bar on the dash is in the middle, re-tightend and be sure things didn't change. You'll of course have to put it in dealer mode to get the dash to show the little bar indicators (jump the white connector in the trunk to put it in dealer mode).

have fun

1 - 10 of 10 Posts