TLZone Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.

I went to start the bike today and it wouldnt turn on.Turns over but no go. It gave me a FI code for engine coolant temp sensor. Would a bad temp sensor cause it to flood and not start? I know it regulates fuel and air flow by the ecu. anyone have this problem before and is there a sensor i could use besides the factory i maybe use from a car or something?

any info will help.

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
The coolant sensor shouldn't cause too much grief if it's faulty.

I think the ECU just defaults to a value of 80C if the sensor signal is out of spec. 80C is the warm map, so chances are it's hard to start from a lean mixture, not a rich one.

If you thumbub the starter button a coule of times so the engine does a rev or two, that'll put extra fuel into the engine as the ECU pulses both injectors on the first crank signal.

Might be something else wrong.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
problem found!!! the intake temp sensor was dissconnected. It shares with the coolant temp sensor thats why i got that code. but your right steve the Bike still doesnt want to start but the guy with the headlight problem is in the same boat as me. Ive put two new batteries in the bike. I got it too start twice with a fresh battery and that was it. Im starting to believe that the bike is not getting sufficient voltage to the coils to spark enough. The bike had a bigger battery in it from the previous owner the was too large but started the bike a few times but its not a fix. how could the bike get more voltage from the battery?

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
Those sensors aren't connected.

If you got a coolant sensor fault when the IAT sensor was disconnected, then the plugs are on the wrong sensors. (The dash will display airbox temperature instead of coolant temperature too).

There are two individual fault codes for the sensors.

C21 - Intake air temperature
C15 - Engine coolant temperature

Check the plugs are on the correct sensors, they can be swapped.

Look in the frequent mods forum for the + mod. Lot's of info here about it, gets more voltage to the coils.

Try new spark plugs too. TL's love to eat them. When the engine doesn't start as it should or when the engine is shut down too early without it getting warm enough.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks so much for the info steve. I swap connectors, found two vac leaks and put in new plugs in.started right up! now the headlight mod.

thanks again for your help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts