TLZone Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey my reserve tank (anti freeze) is VERY low. Should I add antifreeze to the bike?

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Nah, the TL runs best without coolant:lol

Seriously, if its low then of course you should add some coolant. It should be at the low line or close to it with the engine cold. On my bike, low line cold = full line hot:thumbup

·
Registered
11,556 Posts
:stupid I usually mix it 30%, with either distilled water or cooled off boiled water.

·
Registered
600 Posts
50/50 is best cooling & antiboil
Definition: Antifreeze protects the cooling system against both freezing and boiling over. When used at normal strength (50% antifreeze, 50% water), it can lower the freezing point of the coolant to -34 degrees F. and raise its boiling temperature to 276 degrees F. Never use straight antifreeze in a cooling system. Always mix it with at least 50% water. Most antifreeze is 95% ethylene glycol (EG). The only differences between brands of antifreeze are the type and/or quantity of anti-corrosion additives used. Ethylene glycol never wears out but the corrosion inhibitors do. That's why antifreeze should be changed every two years (except for long life antifreezes, which have special additive packages that allow them to go up to 5 years/150,000 miles between changes). For the environmentally concerned, propylene glycol (PG) antifreeze is also available at slightly higher cost. PG antifreeze is less toxic than ethylene glycol.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Actually, you get better heat transfer with less antifreeze and more water, but if you get the raito too far off the engine can freeze up in the winter. There is also concern with water pump seal lubrication with straight water which is why they make stuff like water wetter for track days etc.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Water is good stuff, good heat transfur yada yada .But the best for street because of the antiboil & lube of 50/50 A/W. Most tracks 86 A/F , not sure about track days .

P.S. talking to the TLR guys dem suckas run hot. Riding the TLS on hot hot days my bike has never ran over 180 for a temp , except in trafic but as soon as she starts moving right back ..My bike runs @ 155-160 normal temp

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
That's bad. Too cool is as bad if not worse than too hot. I'd highly recomend you update your thermostat housing/water bypass and temp sensor location. It should stay above 176°F at a minimum.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi,

If you notice a difference in wich side the radiator heat blows out of the fairings assuming same riding speed, wind direction, etc. then your overflow may be low. This is how I found mine was low. Never an indication of overheating, but a change in the heat exhaust. Don't ask me why -don't know.

This happened twice. I believe due to plain evaporation near the end of the riding season.

P

·
0 Posts
beet said:
P.S. talking to the TLR guys dem suckas run hot. Riding the TLS on hot hot days my bike has never ran over 180 for a temp , except in trafic but as soon as she starts moving right back ..My bike runs @ 155-160 normal temp

Hot engine on a hot bike :devious ....

:laugh
Mine easily runs up to 104 C in city trafic. But then again I dont have any fans...
(so I try to avoid down town.... )

·
Registered
813 Posts
Did the 98TLS mod on my 97TLS the temp now stays at 180 all the time except in traffic...but thats what the fan mod is for....
Even on cold night it goes down as low at 177 when riding but usually stays at 180...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts