TLZone Forums banner

Electronic Guru's .. Heres one for ya !!

1K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  paul.haydock 
#1 ·
OK. Ive bought a 40gb H/Disk recorder which I can attach a bullet cam to. (Mustek PVR-H140).

Here's the problem. If I set it all up at home it will record happly for hours with no problem. Even if I shake it, kick it, walk around with it in my pocket etc etc.

When I use it on the bike when its running, it records for maybe 3 to 14 mins then locks up and freezes.

Ive had it in the boot of the bike, Inside foam in the hump, in my rucksack and today in my pocket. No joy.

Could there be some kinda interferance coming from the bike that stops it working ? If so what can I do about it.

I think its scared of my riding :laugh

Cheers !
:hail TLR's

#2 ·
What about heat? Sounds like you've got it insulated where it can't breathe and is possibly overheating and then shutting down. :O

#3 ·
Thats what I thought .. But it was cold when I got it out my pocket .. And it was only working for 4 mins before it froze .. I doubt heat's the problem. Not only that, its been running in my bedroom on the carpet with its vents covered and its still recording now at 3 hours 14 mins :dunno

Twatting thing !!

#5 ·
I dunno, I'm out of options short of sitting down myself and doing some troubleshooting. But your a tad far away for that. Get me a plane ticket and I'll be more than happy to help you out. :)

#7 ·
Seperate batery power, not conneced to the bike's power at all?

Could be that the drive will recover from only a certain amount of jostling? Poor analogy 'cause the CD players track instead of seek, but you know how the buffered high-speed read-ahead audio CD players with a 10-second buffer work thru an occasional bump: they work fine until there's 10 successive seconds of serious jostling?

Is it really made for portable use? People use the I-Pod photo mounted solidly on our BMWs all the time.

#8 ·
might try setting it on one of those jell filled packages for cooling only not frozen liquid is a great insulator for that type of shock??? would be easy to try???

#9 ·
I used to have an intercom that would work right up to about 100mph ... then it picked up bad interferance from the bike and just buzzed loudly.

I dont think it could have had many vibrations or knocks in my pocket ... Im also dubious about it being heat. I recorded 4 hours worth last night and the unit was really hot and still working.

My mate mentioned a gadget you clip over the HT lead to supress interferance (Designed to stop radio interferance) ... Any of you guys seen or heard of them ?

#12 ·
Ok then, I'll do it for ya. :)

Hey, you said closer, at least I'm in the same hemisphere. :laugh

#13 ·
Right.

Spent most of the afternoon hooning around testing this pigging thing. 7 tests all done with the PVR in different locations.

Everytime the bike hits 90-100 mph the thing shuts off. Stay at the speed limit (Fat chance) and it works fine.

:dunno

#14 ·
what's the power source?

if it's in a stable inclosure, the only thing I can think that would be changing as speed rises is the voltage.

#15 ·
I had the same problem as you have Mark:banghead Tried both of my 20 gig pvr to record footage from my onboard camera with both of them shutting down. They was both powered from their own power source and inside my pocket. Ended up buying a PVR recorder that excepts A/V input and records to a SD card. I get nearly 2 hours HQ(640*480 30fps) on a 1 gig card. Seems ok but due to weather i've not tested it fully yet:devious Picked it up on holiday in Gran Canaria for £100.

Alternativly you could use a mini DV camcorder with A/V input, DaveC uses this set up so it must be ok speed wise:laugh

#16 ·
I have given up on it. :rant Just my luck really. Anything I touch just falls to pieces.

So the PVR has hit ebay and Im off to look for a camcorder or one of those you have Paul .. Which is a what ?

#18 ·
#17 ·
You might want to look up the thread by reptile TLR on the topic, he has some pretty insane video equipment on his bike:thumbup

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.