TLZone Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone else had this problem especially in the bottom radiator as it is mounted by 3 rubber mounts & is not earthed to the frame. has anyone here ran an earth strap from the bottom radiator to the frame ? please help

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no its current in the cooling system, what i have been told is that due to the bottom radiator being insulated if you like from the frame due to the 3 rubber mounts its not earthed so the radiator is acting as an anoide ( i think thats how its spelt ) again this is what i'm being told. basically it is falling down to a bad earth on the bike .. this is more common in modern cars not so much motorcycles

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,860 Posts
Probably corrosion more than electrolysis, due to not using distilled water and the correct ratio of coolant.

If there was an electrolysis problem there'd be a lot more lower radiator problems. Having the radiator fully insulated is going to help prevent electrolysis, if there is a current flowing through the coolant it will ignore the insulated radiator as there is no where for it to flow and the current would start attacking parts that are grounded - heads, water pump shaft & impellor etc.

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,860 Posts
Here's some info on failing aluminium radiators - not TL ones.

http://www.imcool.com/articles/antifreeze-coolant/whygoodradsgobad.htm
Electrolysis? There has been the suggestion, by some members in the cooling system industry, that a group of GM pickups, exemplified by this vehicle, may be prone to cooling system component failures resulting from true electrolysis. True electrolysis occurs when stray voltage exists in the system, resulting typically from a damaged or misrouted ground connection. The stray voltage establishes a plating cell, taking metal from one metal and depositing it on another. The “donating” component is quickly, seriously and irreparably damaged. It may fail in a few days to a few months, depending on the particular circumstances (intensity of the voltage and current, the types of metal affected, etc.).

Corrosion! Most radiators sent to Amalgamated Laboratories for examination are found to have actually failed due to chemical corrosion, not electrolysis. This radiator is no exception; it exhibits the classic damage that results, sometimes quite fast, from inadequate coolant and/or improper coolant management.

·
Registered
8,899 Posts
...what i have been told is that due to the bottom radiator being insulated if you like from the frame due to the 3 rubber mounts its not earthed so the radiator is acting as an anode
The TLS radiator is also mounted on three rubber grommets.
From 1998 the only thing in it is the fan switcharoo but that would only be positive wires :O so no earth.

(Disclaimer,i was making that up on the run :laugh and only guessing )

·
Registered
6,760 Posts
Well... If you don't fill her up with de-ionized water, you'll have the grounding effect from the coolant. I dunno about water wetter how that works though.

Water leads current pretty well.

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,860 Posts
Les guessed wrong :laugh The fans on our bikes have +12V applied to them when the ignition is on, the switch completes the ground side. :) But the switch could just as easily switch +12V as the pins are insulated from the body.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Steve ive been told the opposite to what you are saying regarding the insulated radiator. The radiator people have told me that basically with it being insulated it becomes a sacrificial anoide. In my case for example it has eaten the bottom radiator from the inside out the top radiator is showing slight signs of the same but due to the thermo fans being on the top radiator its somehow earthed ? again i'm only being advised to what they believe is the cause

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,860 Posts
:dunno I can't comprehend how they erode away when insulated, has to be from lack of additive and corrosion causes insulated and unisulated areas inside the radiator plus blockages could probably do it as well. I've tried serching for the causes and no radiator site will offer anything scientific, just that it happens and what can cause it.

It wont be the fans that are saving the top radiator, they're insulated too, +12V on one side and the switch grounds the other.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
I heard about a gazillion of bent or severly damaged TLS radiators due to the expsed mounting position, but never something about electrolysis in our bike's radiators. And I'm running destilled water only in the race bike.

Greetings
Rufer

1 - 11 of 11 Posts