TLZone Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed when i was out riding the a few days ago that my lighting system is surging...Not in any specific pattern or anything, but all the indicator lights if illuminated, the head light and the tail markers all seem to surge unexplained. Would be cruising at about 55mph keeping solid rpm's of about 5k and the lights dim and flicker back to full bright unexplained...could an old battery that is not holding charge very well be an issue? Rode for about 2 hours and after we stopped for a break, the bike took quite a bit to get started. The battery tender level when i got home read only 25% charge....

·
Registered
55 Posts
I had the same thing this year on my 98 TLS, my gel battery was internally shorting, bike would start and run all right but lights we flickering like yours. Put on a volt meter and found 13.6 v at idle and 11.6 -12 .5v runnig at 4500 rpm, put in a new battery and all is good again.

·
Registered
802 Posts
The most likely cause are the connector blocks in the front left hand fairing.
Do a search there are many threads .
Corrosion in the connector blocks is very common. You need to fix it quickly

·
TLOTM Sept. '08
1,629 Posts
The most likely cause are the connector blocks in the front left hand fairing....
That's also excellent advice - that was actually my first thought too, although the battery issue (starting & net charge) made me suggest the charging system. But that could be down to just a tired battery.
So yes, start with the simple things. You can get a product at RadioShack called De-OxIt - expensive but good stuff. If your connectors look oxidized use that to clean them up.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i have narrowed down the short which i believe to be faulty connections in a particular wire harness interconnect for the headlight. I don't believe that there is a oxidation issue unfortunately because that would be a much easier fix....does anyone have an idea of a source for the plastic connector blocks...even generic ones that i could replace this one with? Someone lovingly applied copious amounts of silicone caulking to try and adhere this mess together...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts