TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, went for a ride today and had some issues with my bike.
Stopped for a break and then when i went to take off again i had no ignition power??
Now ive had this problem once before in the shed and i just wiggled a few wires under the seat and it came on.
Now this time it seems to be around the big relay looking thing that i wobble and power comes back but it was shuting on and off while i was riding( pain in the arse)
Now it comes and goes with no warning.
I have riden the bike probley 10 times from the intial problem without it happening. (until today)
Could that relay be buggered??
I havnt got many ideas as im not electrically inclined.
Anyone no of what it could be and where and how i should check it out.

Sorry about rambling on but more info is better than less

Cheers

·
Moderator,
5,038 Posts
Remove your RHS fairing, you will find two electrical connector blocks undo these and give them a good clean, you may find them furred up, they are accountable for quite a few problems
Hope that helps

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Posh Johnny said:
Remove your RHS fairing, you will find two electrical connector blocks undo these and give them a good clean, you may find them furred up, they are accountable for quite a few problems
Hope that helps
The rear section or the front?? cause its the electrical items under the seat that are causing the problems ( i Think)

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Mine was the starter relay, exactly where you're talking about. Get some contact cleaner from radio shack or an electronic store, autozone, pep-boys etc. might have it, and spray it up.

I did mine and haven't had a problem since. That was about a year ago.

C

·
Moderator,
2,701 Posts
try cleaning, But mine had rub a wire and had to be replaced. Its an easy fix really. Might be time to learn to solder and its cheap. Mines been fixed now for about 4 years without issue.

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
No power at all when you turn the key on, headlights and all?

I never had a problem with the plug on the starter relay (I had inspected it a few times as a precaution as it's caused problems on other TL's) Up the front in the white plug pictured I had to clean one of the pins and sockets as it was looking sad. But it was before any symptoms appeared.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK i checked all the front wires and all seems good.

Yes i was losing complete power headlight and all.

It is definatly something under the seat just cant track it down properly yet.
What is the larger relay with the big pos/neg terminals on it?

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
NSE.ONE said:
OK i checked all the front wires and all seems good.

Yes i was losing complete power headlight and all.

It is definatly something under the seat just cant track it down properly yet.
What is the larger relay with the big pos/neg terminals on it?
The large relay under the seat is the starter solenoid. It also contains a 30amp main fuse that powers the whole electrical system. Pull the plug out with the 4 wires on it and check their condition. Also remove, inspect and re-insert the main 30amp fuse.

If there is something wrong there it will knock the whole bike out. 2 are for the starter solenoid, the other two (red & red/white) are main power out from the 30amp main fuse.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok so ive tracked it down to the Red wire coming from the 4 wired connector into the solinoid. The wire seems to be losing contact just near where it enters the plug.
as in the above picture.

Anyone know if you can pull the wire out of these plugs or do i have to get a new one?
Me not being to electrically minded and not wanting to destroy the plug if i can reuse it.
Any help would be great
Cheers Colin

·
Registered
219 Posts
Hey NSE.one I have a thread titled blinking, flickering lights solved. I think you'll find your solution there too.

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
I'm sure you can get them out witout too much drama. Pull the plug, and with a small (tiny) jewellers screwdriver you should be able to push the locking tab in and push the wire and plug through the housing. (Use the screwdriver to get the seal out first).

Chuck did a more permanent fix to his http://www.chucksirois.com/tl1000/plus-mod/index.htm I think haiiro99 did something to his TLR one recently too. It's a common fault with the TLS.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys ill get into it tonight and let ya know how it went (fingers crossed)

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Had a day off today so im back trying to fix this.
Replaced the wire but the powers still coming on and off when you wiggle it around.
im now thinking its the plug.
HeyChuck since you did the mod that steve's linked up have you had any more probs?
i think im gunna have to permanently solder them on as well.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I can tell you that since I pulled the wires from the plug and bent in the connecting tabs a little, I have not had a problem whatsoever. No more flickering lights. No more sudden power outages like you've described. Prior to fixing the plug I was experiencing dim lights at night which strangely would brighten as the rpms lowered, or when using turn signals, or horn. Sweet as pie, none of that happens now!

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
Colin, try wiggling the main 30amp fuse too just to make sure it's not the problem. (one is in use, the other is a spare). Also that the copper link from the post that supplys the fuse is firm on the post.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Hate to beat a dead horse, but that's the relay I'm talking about. Just spray it with contact cleaner, let it dry or go by the directions on the can. You can test it to be sure by having the key on and everything if you wiggle the entire white wiring housing and you hear the click and the fuel pump start up then it's the whole plug and not just one wire. Trust me I started to pull wires and had the soldering iron ready to go but went the contact cleaner route and seriously I haven't had a problem in over a year. So I'd definitely do the easy stuff first. If that doesn't fix it then go on to the harder stuff.

Just my .02,
C

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah its definatly the plug the fuses are ok.
When you move the plug its going on/off
Im gunna try what Burnrubber suggested before the soldering iron comes out though.
Sheeesh one tiny problem causes so much shit hey.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
CMonkee said:
Hate to beat a dead horse, but that's the relay I'm talking about. Just spray it with contact cleaner, let it dry or go by the directions on the can. You can test it to be sure by having the key on and everything if you wiggle the entire white wiring housing and you hear the click and the fuel pump start up then it's the whole plug and not just one wire. Trust me I started to pull wires and had the soldering iron ready to go but went the contact cleaner route and seriously I haven't had a problem in over a year. So I'd definitely do the easy stuff first. If that doesn't fix it then go on to the harder stuff.

Just my .02,
C
Yeah no dead horse mate im open to all sugestions.
Already tryed the electrical cleaner though and no go.
The contacts are actually in really good nick with no corrosion but theres just a contact problem with em somewhere
Cheers colin

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Yeah, that's the way mine were, but my engineers here at work showed me the way. Just make sure you follow the directions. The first time I tried it it didn't seem to work, but I think I plugged it back up while it was wet, I just remember it took a couple of good sprays and like I said, haven't had a problem since. It's weird one little plug and a total loss of electrics.

good luck,

C

1 - 20 of 33 Posts