TLZone Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, new here, i am sure you guys have heard this one before, corroded electrical connectors. Been dealing with everything from intermittent headlight failure to more recently no start issue. just today turned the key and nothing came on, i already knew where to look, connectors by the left air duct, unplugged and reconnected and it fired right up. yellow connector is melted/burned in places, white connector has some decent corrosion (noticeable voltage drop, as i can wiggle the wires and see the lights brighten up), and small black connector also has some melted spots, what is the most recommended way to fix this? i have a strong technical ability, my plan was to completely cut old connectors off and replace with something better, preferably weatherproof. I do not want to fix this by using a bunch of butt splice connectors, i understand it will probably be very difficult to find the OEM connectors. i have been searching for automotive harness connector kits. What are some of the ways you guys have repaired these?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So figured I'd give a little update, I purchased a 16pin Aptiv/Delphi GT-280 pair and 2 pairs of 10pin Aptiv/Delphi GT-280. They are rated for 25amps per circuit with 12-16 gauge pins, they will be a bit time consuming to install, but well worth it, as I mentioned all three of the harness connectors have taken some sort of damage from heat due to corroded pins/loose connections, the fourth connector there was already a sealed connector and it was fine, is this factory, or maybe someone had it fixed already? I will give more updates as I complete the repair as this seems to be a very common issue.

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
Welcome to the forum twenglish1!

Problems with overheating and corrosion in those connectors are common. Actually, the OEM connectors are still available from places like EasternBeaver.com. However, sealed connectors, as you mentioned, will provide better reliability - especially in a humid environment.

While you are at it, you might consider installing the Headlight Relay Mod. This is designed to remove the headlight current (~ 9 amps) from the OEM Loom. It allows more voltage to reach the lights (so they will be brighter), and it eliminates the heating problems in various connectors. There is a write-up (or two) on it in the Frequent Mods forum.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you, I will look into the headlight relay mod, would it be worth it to look for LED headlight bulbs? As they would draw alot less current, I haven't looked yet but I am sure someone has to make them

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
Some have gone the route of LED headlights. 👍 I don't have any personal experience with them yet, but that is certainly an option. Please let us know what you learn.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll keep this updated as I correct the wiring, gonna be a few days before I get the new connectors. Any short term solution you could recommend? I thought about trying some sort or contact cleaner that deals with corrosion and repacking connectors with dielectric grease

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
Yes, cleaning the terminals and verifying that they fit together snuggly is a good option. Any corrosion or oxidation is the beginning of the problem. Once that starts, then things heat up, and it snowballs from there.

Below is a link to EasternBeaver.com, in case you decide to replace any terminals. He also has a good selection of quality, yet affordable, crimpers and extractors.

Eastern Beaver connectors

Another option is cycleterminal.com

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i was able to find the issue of the no start, the heavy gauge orange wire on the 16 pin plug, i was able to slightly bend the pin and get it to make a decent enough connection, cleaned and greased all the connectors. Definitely want to fix this right and replace the connectors connectors completely as i know this will be a re-occurring issue, ill check that site too, thank you

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Like Six said...

Moving the amperage of the headlights off the loom does a lot to alleviate the issues. My S loom was just fine, but I did it anyways. You should do the charge mod as well while you are fiddling with the electrics.

You sound very competent, it's easy and a must do for every TL .

·
Moderator,
8,227 Posts
Many years back when this first raised its head as an issue, I cleaned the connectors and used dielectric grease on them. I never had a problem with them, so yep, that's a good fix short of long term.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah that's good you caught it in time, I wish someone did the same with this bike, no idea how many owners before me but the lack of taking care of it is really starting to show, especially being 20 years old

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you, I will look into the headlight relay mod, would it be worth it to look for LED headlight bulbs? As they would draw alot less current, I haven't looked yet but I am sure someone has to make them
I went thru all this with my S. Used a mosfit regulator powered a second fuse box to power the relay and built a harness to power the coils and headlights. Send me a phone number if you want to pick my tiny little brain....brad

1 - 12 of 12 Posts