TLZone Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bit of a problem that I've never run into before. Some of this will sound a little crazy but I really couldn't help myself. I've wanted to do a turbo bike for a while and came across this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140334149242

The guy has good feedback and the item looked like perfect. I even emailed him to see if it would fit a bike that I found in the classifieds. In the description he had someone ask about shipping all the way over to Cyprus and he was fine with it so I assumed international selling would be all right. When I requested the total with shipping to Canada, a person saying he was his brother said he'd been called out of town unexpectedly for 2 weeks and he'd likely be ok with mutually canceling the transaction and leaving good feedback. It really wasn't a problem because I also have a paypal confirmed US address it could be sent to so I told him I'd rather still have the item and could wait until he got back for an answer on what he wanted to do.

In the mean time I was in contact with the seller of the bike (GSXR1000) and it was a great deal and he wasn't interested in holding it for very long. I had the time off so I flew to Vancouver and picked it up on the weekend and took about a 2000km route home. Lots of fun!

I was getting tired of waiting and while it's a lot more hassle, I sent the payment with shipping instructions for my US address. Yesterday, I received an email from the seller of a refund of the payment. He said in the explanation that the turbo was damaged. Needless to say I'm pretty choked about getting the run around and this turbo definitely factored heavily into me deciding to buy another bike. I'm happy with the bike purchase regardless but I'm thinking that the story is more like he expected more for this setup and has come up with this bullshit as an excuse to not send it. I bid a lot more and as far as I'm concerned it isn't my problem that nobody else bid accordingly. I've stuff for a song before and it hurts but that's Ebay.

I probably would have understood if he emailed me right after and said he meant to have a reserve or couldn't afford to sell it for whatever reason. I might have even done my best to believe that it was damaged if there wasn't a picture of it already sitting in a ****ing box off the bike on the auction page, but waiting that long and, in my opinion, lying about the situation just isn't right. My question is, has anyone ever run into this with an otherwise reputable seller and do I have any recourse that's worth pursuing short of leaving negative feedback?

·
Premium Member
2,654 Posts
You can file a complaint through Ebay.
They can't make him send it but it will put a black mark against his name.

I would have no hesitation in leaving him a negative.

·
Nothing to see here...move along
2,463 Posts
My problem would be how he answered this question:

Q:hi,is there any thing wrong with this kit. Jul-20-09
A: Thanks for asking. This kit is brand new besides bolting it on my bike and testing and tuning it. Check my feedback. This kit is the easyest bolt and go you will ever find. Thanks, Drew

edit - WOW, just looked up the kit price....I'd definitely have to say he was expecting more money!! Talk to Ebay, if he didn't put a reserve that's his fault. I'd at least leave negative feedback.

More here from ebay

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/seller-non-performance.html

I'd also watch for him to re-list it.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Honestly, I have sold stuff on Ebay for years (and still do). From what I see, he listed the item at no reserve. Regardless of what it sold for, it should have been sent. I've sold stuff for less than what I wanted to get but that's why you put the starting bid at the minimum you'd take for it or put a reserve price. Damage is possible (it's happened to me a few times) during moving it around or packaging. Not very likely, but possible. I would monitor him for a re-list then take steps from there. At least he did the right thing and gave you a full refund.

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
:bs

·
Premium Member
8,251 Posts
Yep, I'd send him an email and tell him you want it anyhow. It s awful hard to damage a turbo. A complaint and negative feedback is needed if you don't get it.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I do a lot of selling and dealings with ebay. He should have listed it with a reserve price or started it at minimum sale price he was willing to part with it for. If the auction completed, it is his responsibility to send the item! I agree with Officer140, I have also sold things for less than I hoped for, but that is ebay and everyone is looking for the lowest cost around, sometimes that means you (the seller) get the short end of the stick!

I would contact ebay about the transaction, even though he sent you a full refund, get his name on the radar of ebay so they can keep track of him! He may have done this in the past and talks his way out of it to keep his good seller score.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I emailed the seller and asked when a good time to call would be and let ebay know about it. What I've gotten from them is an automated reply outlining steps I should take before I wash my hands of it and leave negative feedback. Too bad. Thanks for all the replies. I can remember selling a set of radial Ohlins with Brembo calipers and triples a few years ago when just the forks were a couple grand for $1100 and that hurt quite a bit but the guy got them and I learned a lesson about gambling with no reserve auctions.

The bike is pretty fun without it. I haven't had a sportbike on the street for a couple of years now and I highly doubt that it will be easy to stay out of trouble on this thing for long even stock. :crazy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts