TLZone Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why do most TRE's not include the Early 1997 TLS? I have the original early '97 ECU. Is the timing not retarded on it? Which TRE's will work on it?

I don't give a rat's furry little asshole about the price. I want the one that works the best.

Thanks, Peeps.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
no tre needed.it's not restricted:)

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
but...but....but....WTF?

Ivan sells a TRE specifically for the '97 TLS:

IVANS TRE IGNITION TIMING RETARD ELIMINATOR & TOP-SPEED DERESTRICTOR FOR SUZUKI TL1000S '97(Reference #32948)

New Top-Speed Derestrictor and Timing Retard Eliminator for Suzuki TL1000S '97.

The plug ‘n play TRE overcomes the top speed limiter on the TL1000S. It also provides much better part-throttle response and increased torque (with reduced on-off jerkiness) in the first 4 gears by bypassing separate retarded ignition maps which are designed to ‘soften’ the bike’s performance to avoid wheelies and wheelspin.

Fits the Suzuki TL1000S V 97 Model Only

·
Registered
722 Posts
The wiring harness is different. The '97 uses two wires and the later (slower) ones use 3. You can easily make one yer damed self and even make a switchable one so it can run like stock or without the retard in the lower gears. The only reason I can think of that you would want to have it switchable is if you were riding in very hot weather and the bike wanted to detonate. Other than that I don't see no reason to have the stock retard circuit at all.
If you are mechanically reclined enough to make it yer self then hopefully the nice person who sent me the diagrams on how to make it would do so again or I can maybe find the link. You will need a 15K ohm resistor, small not much wattage needed, small gauge wire like 24 or so and a Single Pole Double Throw switch, SPDT. No momentary or Center Off option. Some heat shrink and be able to solder it or have someone to do it fer ya. Some bullet connectors would also make the install slicker. Pick a switch that will mount where you want it. I'm not gonna mount mine where it is real accessable cuz I don't think I'll need to change on the fly.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So would an Ivan's TRE-003 for the '97 TLS benefit me with the original (pre-recall) ECU? Some people say the original ECU isn't retarded, and on Steve's TL pages, it gives mixed info on whether or not it would benefit the '97......

·
Premium Member
6,671 Posts
I have an early '97 fitted with an ECU from the first round of re-call's, and whilst I didn't notice a massive difference in power in the lower gears, it did make a noticeable difference and runs much cleaner now :)

Mine's one made following Steve's transistorised design (go visit his site for a diagram), and i'm happy with it being there :)

·
Registered
568 Posts

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
If there was no difference between 1st through 6th on a '97 TLS it wouldn't have have been fitted with a gear position sensor in the first place. The lack of commercial units is because of the plugs. One model out of all of Suzuki's FI bikes had a different plug.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts