1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
5,676 Posts
Most fuels have ethanol in them now. In the UK most are 5% .
I only use the higher octane 97-99 almost all of the time anyway. The last time I put E10 fuel in my TL in Germany it ran like a dog. Cutting out at every junction and stumbling so bad I thought something serious was wrong with it. Next fill up on supreme fuel and it was back to normal again. It really is shit fuel.

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
The bad news is even the "good" stuff is now mostly E5 so finding gas without booze in it is nigh-on impossible. That said, I'm using Shell V-power with good results in all my machines (Tiller and a fleet of ancient BMW V8s). You really can see the difference between that and cheap Tesco regular. Shame it's so f'in expensive.

·
Premium Member
6,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ditto.................... I use the V-Power whenever I can and when on the continent I use the highest octane I find at the petrol station.

·
Registered
5,676 Posts
ditto.................... I use the V-Power whenever I can and when on the continent I use the highest octane I find at the petrol station.
Ooooh yes . I remember the 101 octane I put in last year on the way to the treffen. She ran fantastically on it.

·
Registered
3,463 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
You know I actually ran across this issue awhile back as well. Had to fill the tank up with the cheap stuff due to money issues and the bike ran like absolute dog shit. Sputtering. Lack of power. Didn't subside until I ran a tank full of premium through it.

And here's another interesting tidbit... I fix neighborhood lawnmowers, weed eaters, power washers, etc. for free (it's a hobby). Probably fixed over a dozen so far. Every single one was due to cheap fuel turning to gel and gunking up the carb jets. I cleaned out one the other day and tried reusing the fuel it had in it, but wouldn't start. Replaced the fuel (which was yellow as mustard) with some 3 month old premium fuel from the bike... started right up.

Point being, always use premium gas in everything. Especially if it sits for long periods.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts