TLZone Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally ran the 2-1-2 big tube header vs the 2-2 setup and some other runs for comparison

2-1-2 and 2-1 and 2-2 these are on different days

2 different TLR's today with different systems

2-1-2 on TLR vs Ducati with full Termigoni not run on the same day

The tlr system is with stock gsxr 1000 mufflers for noise reasons trying to get power and comply with 90 db noise requirements for the local race track. System would probably be better with 2 supertrapps and still be able to comply with the noise levels as the old 2-1 with the supertrapp easily would meet the noise level requirements. Did not spend time today trying to tweek the 2-1-2 for more power as there probably is more available but the engine is tired as 1 cylinder is down 30psi in compression so time for a rebuild. Also interesting is the run with GSXR mufflers vs the full Akropovic system.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Pretty smooth curve with the 2-1-2 system :thumbup

Greetings
Rufer

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
The Duc is carrying almost max power from 9000 on......:eek:mg

The TL has a much smoother curve, but I am still blown away with the Duc's top end. Not something you can use on the road, but it would help you keep up with the 1K 4 cylinders.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
A lot of the jaggedness on some of the graphs is the inductive pickup on the ignition for the rpm on the dyno, in the last 2-1-2 run we used the ecu pickup and it smooths the curve out so just look at the shape of the curves in particular the Ducati one is a lot smoother if the ecu pickup was used.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Now that I have had a chance to think about things I would say a 2-2 system can work just needs big tubes to get the most of it. The fall off in power at the top end is probably the restriction in the GSXR stock mufflers, probably could be solved with Supertrapps, also on the 2-2 over in the other post which had the 2 brothers race cans on we lost power compared to the GSXR mufflers. The 2-1-2 smooths the power deliver, picks up the top end I think due to both cans available to each exhaust pulse after the x pipe so that makes sence. Not shure on the drop on absolute torque on the 2-1-2 vs the 2-2 but suspect it is going lean also I would suspect it would now benefit from degreeing the cams and also better cams and can now start playing with different air box volumes and different velocity stack lengths and in the end the 2-1-2 probably can make better absolute numbers in both torque and HP when tweeked than what a 2-2 system can. Doing the above I think it would have about the same power as the Duc 130-135 relative to this Dyno.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Duc is carrying almost max power from 9000 on......:eek:mg

The TL has a much smoother curve, but I am still blown away with the Duc's top end. Not something you can use on the road, but it would help you keep up with the 1K 4 cylinders.
And just think what the new 1098 Ducati would be like about 10 more HP and 5-10 more LBS/FT torque or if you really want to scare the crap out of you gixxer160,s old GSXR 1000 that made 160 HP on this dyno thus where his name came from.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Really interresting figures! But behind the top end power there is other things...special part like the exhaust is awesome! Good job Doug, I hope to received quickly all my exhaust part from this guy : http://stores.ebay.com/Mandrel-Bending-Solutions
I looked at that supplier and there are others that show up on ebay, the one you listed is selling 409 stainless that is very durable BUT it does not polish for that you would want 304 stainless. I use this company for the tranistions which is the tapered bit to go from the stock header that I cut about 6" from the front flange and about 3" from the rear connector saves making up the flange and connector and gets me from the 1.75" of the stock header to 2.25" of the big tube I made I used the 7 degree taper. http://www.spdexhaust.com/ there is another company in California called Burns Stainless

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
newest dyno runs with big airbox 22-24 litre

All these runs have GSXR 1000 stock cans on the big tube headers, this will meet a 90 DB noise level

·
Registered
193 Posts
Nice curves!:devious And it is really interesting to see the difference without bellsmouth... It could be more interesting to change the height of them, and to check their influence on power/torque curves.:devious

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
These graphs will give a better idea of where we started and where we are at. This graph shows power with a Joe V race style airbox and the big tube header setup.

This next graph shows the results of tuning and a custom 22 litre airbox and the 2-1-2 big tube header with GSXR stock mufflers, basicly its worth 10hp over the best joev setup with the airbox lid off this with the airbox lid on in this case its the top of the gas tank and we got 6hp and more torque than a full Akropovic system and a sharkskinz airbox.

The other big difference is at the top end if you look at the first graph the power is droping off at 9000 now it pulls all the way to the rev limiter of 10250 that is the difference of the x pipe vs the straight 2-2 system I tried before which made good power but over a narrower rpm range. Now for the last thing to play with is cam timing, in theroy it should boost the power about 6hp and the torque should increase about 3-5lbs/ft we shall see.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts