TLZone Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am ready to be flamed to hell and back but.......

What is the theoretical top speed of the tlr based on calculation, rpm,gearing,wheel dia etc?
Its just that I have seen over 175mph on the speedo and am thinking ...No way thats true.:O or is it...is there a gadget that can be fitted that stops the speedo lying or allows it to be calibrated, other than putting stickers on the face!

Thanks guys/gals..

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,860 Posts
You can buy a speedo healer from Calsportbike it'll fix your speedo.

Or put a gps in your pocket.

The TLS has a higer theoretical top speed compared to the TLR because it's 17/38 stock compared to 17/39 of the TLR. On the TLS theoretical is ~300km/h (186mph) 160mph is probably closer to the mark for the S

·
Registered
5,858 Posts
From the launch article in florida...i think.........i remember them saying the S will tap out at 275 kmh..............

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers guys...looks like its a speedo healer for me...

·
Registered
601 Posts
From the launch article in florida...i think.........i remember them saying the S will tap out at 275 kmh..............
That seems a little low, unless you're referring to a 1998+, I've seen about 165 indicated and it was still pulling strong.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep 165 indicated.....gonna be about a genuine 150mph ,guessing.

Its the actual speed I am after not the clock speed.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I went to a 41 tooth in the rear and added a speedo healer to my tiller. I checked it with a GPS at 100mph it was dead on with the speedo. I then got the old girl up to 155 on the speedo and still had about a grand left on the tach in 6th gear.:O I'm guessing I could get a bit over 160 with the lower gearing?
SO thats what my tiller can do, if ya wanna make a comparison to stock gearing.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
How exactly does that thing work, is it like a mini gps unit only without the gps functions, just speed? Or what?

·
Registered
183 Posts
This is a unit that simply takes incoming speed signal, applies correction algorithm, and outputs to your gauge package. It's seamless inline with your wiring harness connections, and accurate as heck.

·
Registered
6,760 Posts
This is a unit that simply takes incoming speed signal, applies correction algorithm, and outputs to your gauge package. It's seamless inline with your wiring harness connections, and accurate as heck.
As long as you calibrate it correctly. ;)

And it doesn't compensate for any non-linear deviations in the speedo but I guess that isn't that common... :O

·
Registered
183 Posts
As long as you calibrate it correctly. ;)

And it doesn't compensate for any non-linear deviations in the speedo but I guess that isn't that common... :O
Yup. User error is the great unknown factor. And having a unit built to solve more complex issues raises the cost exponentially. So yes, it's going to assume that the standard deviation is minimal.

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,860 Posts
I don't think there would be much of a linear error with stepper motor or digital speedo's. :dunno

I don't know if there is much linear error with the TL ones? I never really tested for it, but the needle was always where I expected it. There could be though.

The speedo healer can correct an error between the odo and speedo if they're non linear by throwing a few or taking away a couple of pulses ever so often.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Ok since no one else flamed, and you were just waiting for it here goes. Your bike is fast enough!? You can die at any speed. Squid.... LOL Quit worring about how fast you can go without knowing how to control it. There is that enough. Note- i think this is even funnier since my pic has me looking very squid-like. As an added note i hate stunters! LOL

·
Registered
162 Posts

What is the theoretical top speed of the tlr based on calculation, rpm,gearing,wheel dia etc?
162 was the tested top speed of an S in 97 when tested by cycle world I believe, so 166 seems right for the R since it is heavier but more streamlined.

·
Registered
183 Posts

Its just that I have seen over 175mph on the speedo and am thinking ...No way thats true.:O or is it...is there a gadget that can be fitted that stops the speedo lying or allows it to be calibrated, other than putting stickers on the face!

Thanks guys/gals..
Here's the formula for theoretical top speed:

MPH = (Engine RPM * Radius) / (Final Gear Ratio * 168)

So for example, I'll use the Hayabusa since I don't have reduction ratios handy on the TLR, sorry. Primary reduction is 1.596. 6th gear reduction is 1.043. 17/40 gearing is a secondary reduction of 2.352, for a final ratio of 3.915.

On tire radius, with a 190/50 tire on a 17" rim your radius (not counting heat expansion or tire wear, just the static number) is about 12.24 inches (95mm sidewall is 3.74" plus half of 17" rim diameter). Assume tire wear and heat expansion negate each other for the sake or this calculation.

Hayabusa redlines at 10,900 rpm. So it would look like this:

MPH= (10,900 x 12.24) / 3.915 x 168)
MPH= 133,416/ 657.72
Theoretical Top Speed = 202.85

Obviously wind resistance factors in, but at least if you plug in these numbers you'll get an idea.

·
Registered
105 Posts

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok since no one else flamed, and you were just waiting for it here goes. Your bike is fast enough!? You can die at any speed. Squid.... LOL Quit worring about how fast you can go without knowing how to control it. There is that enough. Note- i think this is even funnier since my pic has me looking very squid-like. As an added note i hate stunters! LOL
:laugh ..I know its fast enough.Its just It would be nice to know how fast.I tend not to ride by the speedo anyway unless in town.its more a feel thing everywhere else.

·
Registered
183 Posts
If redline is 10K, then with a final drive ratio of 4.11 it has a theoretical top speed of 182.7mph before aerodynamic resistance is accounted for. A Hayabusa, one of the BEST aerodynamic shapes among production bikes, with small frontal area (ft**2) loses about 13-14 mph due to wind resistance at the top end from its theoretical top speed. So assuming the TLR is 15% worse CdA than the Busa, it would put a realistic top speed at about 166'ish...

If someone can get me the frontal area and their dyno'd real wheel horsepower, I can give you an exact number at sea level with no-wind conditions.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts