TLZone Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Super Mod,
3,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was bored sitting around at work so I typed it up. Before I put it up on my blog I thought I run it by you lot first...

As a boy I dreamed of the things I couldn’t have. As a man I dream of… er… well, not much has changed outside of my perception of things. Ducati was one of those bikes I lusted after. When I first saw the 851 my mouth watered; dreams of tearing up the Coromandel on this work of art were all I could think of. With the 916 it was even worse. Many years down the road when I was becoming a terror through the Blue Ridge Mountains on my SV650S my neighbor brought home a 998. All those dreams came rushing back to me.

Until…

It seemed that for one reason, or another, the 998 all ways needed special attention beyond normal care and maintenance. Now, this wasn’t my bike so this is where perception is playing a part. Maintenance schedules for its wonderfully named valve system seemed impractical for a bike that should be ridden, not dug into two or three times a year (your mileage my very).

So the perception and the practicality of a Ducati started to drift away…

Several years later and two TL1000’s (S and R) my want and desire for a Ducati has drifted into oblivion. My love of big twins has not and it keeps being fueled by the TL’s and the fact that I can do on them what magazine riders could not and ultimately complain about. When I think about moving on and looking at a different street bike the ability to buy a Ducati is no longer an issue, just the desire to own one. What makes it worse is the Ducati image that seems to be on the selling block more so than the bike itself. Did Ducati hire a PR consultant from Harley Davidson?

The more an image is pushed the less interest I have in it. Not so long ago Ducati advertising consisted of pretty boys pushing their bikes. OK… What the hell? Since then I’ve never been able to look seriously at what they were trying to sell. Recently I went to the local MC store to pick up some gear for my son. The Ducati section now rivaled anything else they sold in their gear department. What really made it worse was the fact that it was more fashion than safety. Seeing this fashion show didn’t help… Click Me

I will say that that the Ducati Sport1000 they had on the showroom floor almost brought back those old dreams. I think though that was due to the café racer side of me I’m a sucker for; the Thruxton still has a place in my garage should I go in that direction.

Now the buzz is the 1098 and I just can’t get into it. Why the 1098? Because Ducati can’t get their head out of their arses and figure out that the day of the racing twin is dead. Ducati now wants to have the sanctioning bodies they race under change the rules to meet their needs so they can hold onto to something just a little longer. Why must they keep the V4 for the GP series only? Why not something for the masses… AND NO, the very limited GP homologation machine doesn’t count. The only reason they got away with that is due to the new displacement rules for ’07.

I digress… I do still have those dreams of running through the mountains and back roads on something Italian. It just happens to be on an Aprilia now.

·
Premium Member
8,251 Posts
Hmmm, that could have come from my very own keyboard. And have you noticed how cheap slightly used Aprilias are? :devious

G

·
The thing that stops me from owning a Ducati is purely the maintenace cost.

I abolustely love the 916/996/998 look, but I also absolutely refuse to pay that redicolous amount of money the want for a service.
And, making it myself is not really an option.

So, if I go italian it will be Aprilia or Bernelli, or maybe one of the lesser tuned Ducatis.
Not counting Husqvarna as Italian... :laugh

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
I dunno, I agree with a lot of it, but as we generally like twins and ducati is the only company really pushing the development of sporting twins perhaps we owe them at least a tip of the hat:) I would love to see ducati get their way and the racing class be structured such that twins and 4's (and 3's and 5's for that matter) are more or less equal.

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
5's :drool

·
Registered
218 Posts
I dunno, I agree with a lot of it, but as we generally like twins and ducati is the only company really pushing the development of sporting twins perhaps we owe them at least a tip of the hat:) I would love to see ducati get their way and the racing class be structured such that twins and 4's (and 3's and 5's for that matter) are more or less equal.
Without Ducati to shoot at Suzuki would probably never have built our TLs. The thing that I don't understand is , from what I have read their high maintenance valve train was originally designed in the 1950's to make higher RPMs possible. So why can't a company that was that progressive see that it is no longer necessary and and go with a more durable set-up that modern spring materials and technology make possible. Unlike Harley who's basic design ( long stroke, potato potato) limit their performance I think Ducati has room to update their technology and still remain true to their original basic motor design and feel.

·
Banned
5,308 Posts
I always wanted a twin also, but refused to pay the price to buy a Duc and keep it running and I'm only 30 mins from Ferracci's, so it would have been no problem. I jumped on the TLR in 98 as the final solution and I talked my friend that I ride with most of the time into the same thing and out of a another Duc. I've been very happy since.
My friend bought a 996 the following year and a MVF4 the year after that. He still has all 3 bikes, but guess which one he likes to ride the most and which one has the most miles. Guess which one costs the most to keep, even with low mileage? Guess which one goes to breakfast on Sundays at the yuppie dinner. Seems every bike has a different purpose. But the TLR is the most bang for the buck and perfect for people that really like to ride, even alone, in the middle of nowhere with no one to impress, with your income.

·
14,150 Posts
I got one word for Wreckah....Not available over here.

Er...ok, so more than one word, but you know what I mean!

From their website at cagivausa.com

Cagiva USA is the Exclusive North American Distributor for

Cagiva, MV Agusta and Husqvarna Motorcycles.

We currently import only MV Agusta and Husqvarna motorcycles.

At this time there are no curent model Cagiva Motorcycles available for the North American market. Information is still available on this site regarding the most recent model available, the Gran Canyon.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Here is the thing that tans my hide. I love routting for the 999Rs when I see them race on Tv. I think they are really the only thing that could keep up with the GSXR 1000s. Now, I hear that Ducati is now yanking the AMA race program from their drawing board. What the hell is that about? They might still race in World Superbike though. Who knows.

As far as owning a Duc, I have played around with the thought and, HELL YES i'd like to own one. The 999 is the shiznit. Now, with that said, Have you guys and gals checked out the new Ducati 1098? They are claming 160hp at the rear and a price tag of 14 to 15 g's. Now that, is something I would consider.

·
14,150 Posts

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
160... Thats still not too far off from the TLR for me to invest. Especially when you start talking reliability (not that I have had the best of luck with my TLR)

For half the price of a Duc you could take and old ass TLR motor and drop it into an outfit that could dance with the new Duc on the track and probably last logner without serious maintenace. But the look of a Duc is hard to match :drool

Shit, who am I kidding, I would love to own one but no way am I going to invest more than 8K in a bike.

·
Chief Moderator for my kids Julia & Kristen,
5,503 Posts
The more an image is pushed the less interest I have in it.
I agree. Duc is going the way of Harley in that department. Never mind the machines are stupid expensive, Harley has way too much "image baggage" for my taste. Business is business and I understanding marketing, but any time you overly "market" something, you risk losing part of your audience. The part that matters over the long term I think in this case. Duc is not Harley. IMHO they need to avoid the pretty boy lifestyle crap and focus on the machine and it's fine engineering.

Duc at least did a couple things right. They recognized the previous generation's styling left a lot to be desired. The new 1098 is beautifully styled. They also have managed to lower the price 3 grand. At 14K, the bike is a viable alternative. Clinging to the Desmo system, with it's $750 maintenance costs every 6,000 miles is just silly though. Ya, it is their signature engineering piece. 5 valves was Yamaha thing for years too. Note Yamaha finally read the writing on the wall this year and the '07 R1 has 4 valves.

Hmm. I wonder if an '07 R1 head would fit on my '06 FZ-1 :devious

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
I got one word for Wreckah....Not available over here.

Er...ok, so more than one word, but you know what I mean!

From their website at cagivausa.com
...does Cagiva ship any models to Canada?

If so, you could rego them in any USA state but CA....there's something to look into:O

·
Premium Member
4,013 Posts
I'm not a big Ducati fan. I've had some experience with them and they're just not my cup of tea. But personally I love what Ducati is doing these days. They're marketing themselves very well and getting more people into the sport, which is a good thing I think. Ducati is a company that puts a lot of stock into their history and into racing. They stick with what works for them and that's why they keep the desmo valve set up and some other things. The 1098 may not be legal for superbike racing, but they'll sell a ton of them.
I'd love to see motorcycling become more mainstream in this country. For the first time in six years an American is world champion. Did you see the article on the front page of USA today? or a story on the evening news? HELL NO,
but we got tons of footage of that freak Tom Cruise's wedding.:banghead

·
Registered
269 Posts
I'm also root for the duc's when their racing. The first time I heard one on a track was in brainerd MN at the AMA's a number of years ago. thats how I fell in love with the twins...ohhhhhhhh that sweeeeeeat sound. I almost signed for an 06 999 but bailed a few months ago , good thing Because I didnt get the promo I was up for..... anyway I love their bikes and the character they ooze... but I hate the maintenance they require. They need to update it

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
Those Cagiva Raptors are ugly as sin & age really badly. I've seen quite a few around here, believe it or not, and in the flesh they look like someones Fine Arts thesis gone mad. And ratty to boot, if they're not constantly polished & cleaned like a Harley's chrome bits.

But that's just my opinion :laugh

Yes, twins rule & if Ducati can muscle itself into a position where they can be in with a fighting chance, then the chances of the big 4 copying is a lot better. Which is better for us.

It's that, or ride Hyosungs :eek which I wont buy on principle

·
Registered
623 Posts
I'm also root for the duc's when their racing. The first time I heard one on a track was in brainerd MN at the AMA's a number of years ago. thats how I fell in love with the twins...ohhhhhhhh that sweeeeeeat sound. I almost signed for an 06 999 but bailed a few months ago , good thing Because I didnt get the promo I was up for..... anyway I love their bikes and the character they ooze... but I hate the maintenance they require. They need to update it
I was the same way. 1st ama race at mid-ohio i saw the sound and style they had was like no other, even harley guys loved them. I remember when harley had duhamel riding for them and he led the first 2-3 laps at mid-ohio on the vr1000 the place went crazy!!! Shame harley killed the program without giving it more r-d.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts