TLZone Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last month I bought an '02 Ducati Monster 750. I wanted to see whether the TLS was still doing it for me or if I was destined to take the Italian route.

Well, after a few hundred of miles of deliberation I decided to stick with the TL. :)
The Ducati was a well made machine indeed, but it lacked so much character compared to the TL. Not to mention the 750cc motor did nothing to cart my big ass around.

If there is anyone here that thinks they are getting bored with their TL, think again. Granted, the liter bikes of today can take our older ones with ease (at least most can). But, the TL just has something that other bikes I've been on lack.

:hail TL rider till the wheels fall off!

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
TL's are way cool, but a monster 750 is hardly in the same class. You'd have to get a 999 or better if you want a duc with more power than a TL in stock form (my TLS just edged out a 998 at a dyno day). I do find the 1100cc 2v motors (as found in the MTS, Hypermotard and Monster 1100) also give the TL a run for its money in the low-mid range power department. I've not had a ride on a streetfighter yet but sure would like one!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TL's are way cool, but a monster 750 is hardly in the same class. You'd have to get a 999 or better if you want a duc with more power than a TL in stock form
I completely agree with you. I bought the Monster 750 because its price was the same as what I had paid for the TL. I would have loved a larger Duc but was looking for a similarly priced bike to find which offered the most fun for the buck. In that regard, the TL took the cake.

W

·
0 Posts
a monster 750 can't run even with a suzuki SV650 :)

forget about following a TLS on that :laugh

S4R is the only one that will be on par with the TLS. 130+ hp when tuned a bit.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Get on a Mille or a Tuono and you will bail on your beloved TL.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Get on a Mille or a Tuono and you will bail on your beloved TL.

I beg to differ ;)

A couple of years back I was thinking of switching to a Mille instead, testrode my buddies RSV-R -00 quite a lot, with some tuning done to it, head work, valve work etc... (My TL still pulled better dyno figures ;) )

Also tested a RSV-R -03 that had spent one season in Nordic Superbike series (made 140ish rwhp) , ridden there by Rene Prang, and thereafter set up for street riding.

Both awesome machines with all Brembo, Öhlins etc...

I was actually very surprised as I expected to fall in love, at least with the -03, but I still liked my TL better! Decided to stick with it and still have it.

The TL has such a mean streak to it compared to those more subtle and refined Aprilias. The TL has got big cojones!! and for me its more fun to ride, plus its fun with a "sleeper" sportsbike like a well set up TL, the Priller and Duc riders (have riding buddies with both) dont expect you to hang with them but usually I do.

The only one that I cant hang with is a big bore (1050cc I think) 996 guy, but he is also a far better rider than me. Have yet to find out what a tuned Ducati feels like when my buddy has converted his 748 to a tuned 996 motor, that should be fun! :)

·
Registered
104 Posts
The only bike I've ever ridden that would have me unseat my TL is a Ducati Sport 1000. The TL is much faster, but the Sport 1000 makes up for it in other areas.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Well, after a few hundred of miles of deliberation I decided to stick with the TL. :)

If there is anyone here that thinks they are getting bored with their TL, think again. Granted, the liter bikes of today can take our older ones with ease (at least most can). But, the TL just has something that other bikes I've been on lack.

:hail TL rider till the wheels fall off!
well duh. i will have a tl until im 90 or older. i like seeing loyalty to this beautiful bike like this.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts